Modern math

I don't have a Rexx interpreter that runs on a GPU.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Phil Hobbs wrote in news:54qdnRtzt4e8d snipped-for-privacy@supernews.com:

wrote: snip

I have a screensaver, sound responsive thingy that I have been using for over a decade. Though it was meant to tie into Windows Media Player and a few other MP3 players, it also has a screensaver that is programmable.

So I can have my favorite pics in the background with fractals sweeping over the top of them as my screensaver.

It is one of the few programs I have bought and actually paid the yearly upkeep on. Because it really is worth it...

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Linux VM on Windows or MacOS is the best way. Linux desktop on the metal sucks ass because the UI is butchered together by autistic geeks with no design or life experience.

Reply to
Riley Angel

snipped-for-privacy@decadence.org wrote in news:q4koso$u8a$2 @gioia.aioe.org:

snipped it all

So, I notice that no one checked out my ESD test chart spreadsheet.

Good job of critiquing, guys.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

There are dozens of alternative UI's for Linux - ranging from "I'm the coolest nerd in town" to "the UI should be invisible and not get in the way of my work". Windows has a single "giant toy telephone designed by teletubbies who want to spy on you" interface. If you prefer that, then I guess that is your choice.

But for efficiency of use, prefer to have Linux on the hardware and Windows on the VM - Linux is a better (more efficient, more stable, better networking, more flexible and faster disk and file handling) VM host in most cases.

Reply to
David Brown

Whatever. JL is quite right here. When you zoom in to the maximum resolution of the number format you chose, you can clearly see the quantization appearing as blocks instead of fine detail... as I found with my first Mandelbrot program, which ran under X Windows in 1985. You just run out of mantissa, because you still have to deal with numbers jumping all over the extent of the Mandelbrot set's complex range.

Clifford Heath.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Clifford Heath wrote in news:xh0dE.362457$%a1.31106 @fx36.iad:

My 1985 Fractal program was primo and calculated 65535 calculations per pixel if need be to determine a pixel value. No matter how deep one zoomed.

The G-Force app I posted a link to (not that bash script)has an underlying, user accessible programming language. It creates and morphs Julias in real time though, which is pretty advanced calculations, since they are from the mandelbrot set.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

True enough but you can be certain it diverges if |Z|>2.

You can forestall some of the numerical shortcomings of a finite length mantissa by a simple formula rearrangement x^2-y^2 = (x+y)*(x-y)

Ultimately though you need sufficient digits in the mantissa to support the zoom level that you intend to use. 64bit mantissa is the fast limit on a PC except for some Fortran compilers which allow REAL*16 floats.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Clifford Heath wrote in news:_y3dE.203772$ snipped-for-privacy@fx34.iad:

You are an offensive ass. How easy to be forgotten. Fuck you. That stupid shit was uncalled for. You learn that dumb shit from Larkin?

AND you mouth off about something without referencing what you refer to. Get back on topic, dipshit.

And then come back with retarded insults and are STILL not referring to what you started talking about. Good job. Johnny trained you immature asses well.

Are you sure that you even know how a zoom on a mandelbrot takes place?

Once a coordinate is chosen and the array window into which it is positioned is set, the calculation is only done on the real and imaginary locales to that array window.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

The iterated values don't stay in that window, however. They can range anywhere in the Mandelbrot range.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

There have been and still are a fair number of FORTRAN compilers that are for Windows; some of them started in/for DOS, even used 32-bit extenders. And a number of them have been and still are free. I used Watcom Fortran 77 back in those daze and wrote multi-million digit "SALLY" routines. Memory "leakage"? Just carefully manage memory allocation - becomes impossible. Buffer overflow? Again, manage memory - becomes impossible.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Awful silent, all of a sudden. It seems Mr Never-wrong had a little think, for a change.

Reply to
Clifford Heath