Modern math

No argument there. I took engineering in college, not accounting. I hire bookkeepers. I haven't done a tax return or balanced a checkbook in 30 years.

I've used spreadsheets (a long time ago) and decided that they are dumb and dangerous. I write programs, or get other people to write programs. Or use Spice. I mostly design electronics. That's supposed to be our topic here.

LT Spice can do useful math, and graph things, and you do control execution order. The "program" is a lot more visible, and can be better commented, than a spreadsheet.

My production people use spreadsheets, but mostly for record keeping.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

Once you have figured that out, why waste time trying to convince him of it?

Why worry about it? His company is doing fine because his taxes are lower. Now he can make more money by doing less thinking.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

Excel is far under elementary school level ; stay at a decent level with hand made calculus and wxMaxima/Octave

Reply to
habib

No way I'd ever let Windows run a Linux VM on any hardware I own! Just

*maybe* the other way round, perhaps. MAYBE.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Or you could use the "Goal Seek" function, that's what it is there for. Create an input cell with an initial guess and a formula cell that does something with the input cell, select Goal Seek from the menu (or find it lost in a ribbon, if you can, I hate that UI), tell it the input cell and the output cell and the target output value, and it will iterate changing the input until it gets the desired output.

--
Regards,
Carl Ijames

John Larkin wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

You are an idiot. That case is where your crybaby bullshit about time spent is even more insignificant. Yer a joke, son.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

John Larkin wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I never said a goddamned thing about powerpoint.

My production line travellers and test data sheets are the hard copy requisites some military and many commercial contracts carry. Upon some of those pages are blank plot diagrams where the UUT data is recorded by the technician, in real time.

You are a complete dork.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Martin Brown wrote in news:q4hbv9$1b19$ snipped-for-privacy@gioia.aioe.org:

Look at this (DVD) movie database spreadsheet (best in existence):

It is quite well done, and a bit backward compliant.

Whereas my DL'd and converted to new MSO2017 format workbook is smaller and searches faster as it is all on one worksheet.

I also add a column for whether or not I own it.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Martin Brown wrote in news:q4hbv9$1b19$ snipped-for-privacy@gioia.aioe.org:

I wonder if I can get it to do various depth mandelbrot array calculations.

This bash script is the best one I have seen for the command line.

Posted here only a couple of these lines wrapped so give it a once over before you try to run it.

Quote bash script for mandelbrot generation:

#!/bin/bash -i # Draws a mandelbrot set. # Author: Benjamin Staffin # # Simulates floating point by using big integers. Flagrantly uses two integers # instead of complex numbers. I couldn't be arsed to calculate infinity limits # of logarithmic functions in bash, so this just uses escape time values for # colors. # # Algorithm reference:

# Colors:

L=128 # Iteration limit. Even on a 238x61 terminal, 99 is plenty. P=100000000 Q=$(( P/100 )) X=$(( Q*320 / ($COLUMNS-1) )) Y=$(( Q*210 / $LINES )) y=$(( Q*-105 )) v=$(( Q*-220 )) x=$v

# "pixel" 0,0 is the top-left corner of our character grid.

# Outer loop: lines (y values) while (( y7 )); then (( k=1, j-= 8 )); else k=0; fi

# ANSI SGR color codes start at 30, hence j+30 here: printf "\E[$k;$((j+30))m#"

(( x+=X )) # okay, next... done printf '\E[0m'

(( x=v, y+=Y )) # On to the next line! done

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

habib wrote in news:5c6c3e40$0$5595$ snipped-for-privacy@news.free.fr:

Pretty much not true at all.

"I dreamed I was swimming with dolphins whispering imaginary numbers and searching for the fourth dimension." --Tito, Stand and Deliver

You ain't real bright.

"Look at the stars!" --Michael Brace, Brainstorm

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Cursitor Doom wrote in news:q4hikg$bq6$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

xnews (this client) is a Windows application.

What makes you think, however, that I am running it from a windows session?

Well, even under Linux boot and wine, I guess it is "a Windows session". Hahaha...

The point is you can't tell. There is no linux version of xnews, so the only reason to run it under wine under linux would be liking it better than the linux news clients.

That proves it... I am currently under Windows. ;-) (moral: xnews sucks)

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

All our production testing is automated and pushes test data and a PDF test report into a database. We need to do that for many reasons. Nobody takes data on clipboards. Sometimes they might type in something, like a power supply current, but we try to automate stuff like that too.

But I'm not a test tech, I'm an engineer.

 Click to see the full signature

That all sounds repulsive and dangerous and un-maintainable for serious engineering.

 Click to see the full signature

John Larkin wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

You don't get it. I STILL plot points BY hand on a graph on my clipboard at the bench, just like you do, Johnny Rotten.

Damn, you are illiterate, boy.

And by the way that decidedly means that you are as slow as f*ck. Your deliberately applied tunnel vision is probably an order of magnitude more stupid than any of the stupid shit our CIC has pulled... so far. You are both running neck and neck though.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

John Larkin wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

You're an idiot.

I can record ANY reading at ANY moment including the moment I take it. 'Record' means that an entry gets added to the receiving computer's cell array.

So, just like you, I use TWO flukes, you stupid twerp, and both reading get recorded, JUST LIKE YOU DO. No scanner required.

Wake the f*ck up, you retarded twit.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

John Larkin wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

No shit, Sherlock.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

John Larkin wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

You got paid to assemble daddy's design?

It was your build, Johnny... but your design? I have serious doubts.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

John Larkin wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

You are a seriously self brain farted dumbfuck, broken for life.

Why don't you diss the space program some more, dipshit?

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Only enough for doing math a little

Reply to
habib

Qubes OS is a Xen distribution that handles Linux, Windows, and other systems. The VMs have tightly controlled access to each other (nearly none by default).

I used to use a Win7 VM until I figured out how to run all the apps I care about in Wine.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs