Modbus device ID

The company I work for is developing a controller that has three communications ports: two RS485 and one TCP. Modbus TCP and Modbus RTU Master/Slave will be implemented. It has been proposed that each port have a different Modbus device ID, rather than one global ID.

I contend there is no benefit to this, and only adds confusion for integrators. Does anyone know of a precedent for this?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
btmull