Mobile Phone Dialer

Hi,

I am attempting to put together a device for sending an alarm signal to a remote location via cheap mobile phone.

I need to wire up a mobile phone so that it will dial a number (one number required only). Since I have very little knowledge of mobile phone circuits I have no idea where to start.

I cannot use a PC or anyother blue tooth/ir (or whatever) as the device I am making needs to be as small as possible.

Having no knowledge of the internal workings of phones I was thinking along the lines of simply opening the phone and attaching wires directly accross the key pad "buttons" (soldering internally accross the tracks on keyboard). Then I can dial/operate the phone by using a circuit that will place the required suquence of pulsed to my attached wires (just as if the buttons were being pressed as normal)

The device is for the purposed of attaching to an animal. When the animal is distrubed and runs this will trigger the phone to dial and alert someone of the suituation. I will have to figure out the circuit that will detect the animal running but I think that will be done using a mercury tilt switch (or its small solid state equivalant) and a counter with a timer to reset the counter every 10 seconds or so. Thus if switch switches more than (say) 20 times in (say) 10 seconds then this means the animal is running and phone shall phone home!

Now if only I can get some good Samaritan to lead me in the direction of a device or way to dial that phone................

The whole contraption needs to be small and low power.

Thanks for any help.

Cheers.

P.K.

Reply to
posker1

Reminds me of a time several years ago, I did something like that with a calculator. i was using it as a counter by adding one. We also used to use little boxes with phone keypad and mic, so we could call out on 2 mtr. Ham radios. A memory would key out the necessary tones. So I guess the worst case you might have is to simple push the call button, then use a tone readout from a speaker phone. I guess the Cell phone would also have a memory, so keying out the pad with mechanical contacts would work, but it might hopefully be easier.

greg

Reply to
GregS

How about an existing pet communication/tracking product

What is the animal, and how far away will it be when it phones home.

I can see it now, laptop strapped to a poor cat. LOL

Reply to
Macgyver

Nokia do a bunch of cheap phones (check the 1*** range). Their connection is via a super cheap rs232 cable. Have a look at

for a pinout. I suggest using a PIC or similar small microprocessor for controlling it.

--
Brendan Gillatt
brendan {at} brendan \\removethis// gillatt {dot} co {dot} uk