Minimum slot width?

So you'd be okay with Neville Chamberlain? The soul of good manners, he was. (The last guy was Chamberlain, except crooked.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Phil Hobbs wrote

Old saying (maybe from the east?) Do Not Start A Fight You Cannot Win

From a Nobel laureate: U.S. at risk of losing a trade war with China:

That twitter master in spelling errors is just a reality show host and women abuser he attacks the media to get attention. has no clue. All fake.

Reply to
<698839253X6D445TD

I haven't invited him to dinner yet.

I prefer to let someone else be the mature loser.

lunatic fringe electronics

I think you don't get it. Napoleon built the Arc de Triomphe, and died in prison. Churchill ordered the navy to pass under the guns at Gallipoli, and successfully defended his nation in later years.

It's not a human trait to be a loser or winner, just a matter of circumstance. So, if you're picking humans, you aren't picking winners or losers. Everyone is both.

Reply to
whit3rd

Well, over five million people died in the Napoleanic Wars, which caused some annoyance. The Arc is kinda ugly, too.

Longwood House was not Versailles, but it wasn't a prison cell either.

Are you saying that success or failure are random? I don't think so. Some people - and groups - make consistently prudent choices and some keep doing dumb self-destructive things. If your argument is that those behaviors are accidents of birth, then I agree.

Thinking helps make good decisions. Schools should teach more lessons-on-life to kids, to warn them against the worst behaviors.

People have very different lives. Very. Some of that is beyond their control, but a lot of fortune and misfortune are the results of good and bad reasoned choices.

More people should be winners in life. This is not inherently a zero-sum game, but a lot of passion often makes it a negative-sum game.

In the electronics design business, one guideline for winning: don't do what everybody else is doing.

lunatic fringe electronics

No, of course that's not what I said: prudence IS a human trait. It doesn't apply to the Donald, whose business bankruptcies are well documented (and whose successes are shrouded by privacy).

Not sure why you think it applies to 'groups'; the Roman Empire could claim prudence up until the sacking of Rome, but that happened a long time ago... groups aren't consistent.

A good president makes a few hundred million citizens winners, by doing a civil service well. It's not how I'd characterize the current office holder.

Reply to
whit3rd

Well, he's a billionaire and President, and you're not.

Unemployment down short term, taxes down long term, and Europe looks like they will fund their own defense. The trade war looks promising.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

<698839253X6D445TD

60 billion in response to 200. As bigD says, they have a lot more to lose than we do. The trade deficit needs to come down, and the Chinese should sell more of their stuff to their own people; and pay them so they can afford it.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

How do you know he's a billionaire? How do you know I'm not? Why does it matte rto you?

Prudence, in a President, does matter. So does credibility : FDR could announce that banks were safe after a bank holiday, and be believed. Trump may say he's a billionaire, but he's no FDR.

Reply to
whit3rd

In that article they state that now the same stuff will come from other countries. The growing number of Chinese consumers, however, will not be affected because of substitutes from Ireland, Scotland and Japan.

South America now supplies the soya for example.

That makes other countries stronger, and US exports weaker. Prices in the US will go up, call it inflation if you like. How strong is that dollar? All over the world there is a change to other currencies for trade, Chinese, Euro.

China plays it safe, tries targeting Donald Duck's voters.

A powerful European army will no longer need US hardware. Same for China. DD is alienating many countries, US investment in the Netherlands is now way down as US companies now stay in the US. With that money flow reducing so does the US influence. China is filling up the vacuum. I was reading today some in Germany want a draft again, everybody trained in the army. That is good for national unity I think. And when Germany and Europe really get going, then US is just a joke. US infrastructure is falling apart, how does a lower trade deficit help? There is less to spend without cheap Chinese products, less income from export. You only have your worthless paper not backed by gold. Inflation. WHO should buy US debt?

And China is investing in a big way in technology, research. Silly Con Fally is so small compared to what China does.

Face it, it is over :-)

Reply to
<698839253X6D445TD

There are world markets for ag commodities and oil and metals and stuff. And world prices.

But all those factories in China, making cell phones and washing machines and stuff, will be hurt bad if the US stops buying. The Party elites are getting rich off that stuff, built by poor people living in dorms.

Yes! Jobs for Americans.

You need your own Trump.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Good thing. FDR was a horrible racist.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Grin, Bernie was the only gentle person in the last election*, but I couldn't vote for him. What I find weird is how wildly popular T is among republicans, and how hated amongst D's, Say as long as this thread has gone political, there are some nice articles about race relations on Quilette, by Coleman Hughes.

enjoy, George h.

*well maybe some of the guys in the Republican primaries.
Reply to
George Herold

Am 06.08.2018 um 22:12 schrieb John Larkin:

As if there were any all-american smart phones left that you could buy instead.

So did the EU, and it works.

That is self explaining? _EUROPE FIRST_ does not go with buying military stuff from Uncle Sam. I think building an army from nothing to world class in < 10 years has happened here before.

And in the long run, military strength goes like economic power. Reagan has demonstrated that by inducing the collapse of the USSR with dense packs and star wars.

Yes! But they will have to get used to sleep in a 200 bed dorm and live on a cup of rice a day. The perceived richness of the US is based on the fact that there are enough people abroad doing just that. Still there are enough. The caravan is already on the move to Vietnam and Bangladesh. And the Chinese are moving on to Africa. There is only one who is investing there large scale and that is China.

Your country has financed everything by printing small green pieces of paper. The Chinese have collected them since 30 years, the Saudis & Co since 70 years. Watch out for the moment when they want to convert them to some real value.

I have made this picture in 2005 when I was in SJ for a technology transfer, and it nicely summed up my impressions in the super markets:

<

You know where that is.

rotfl.

We want treaties that still are respected next month and not an ego driven wannabe king that spins around like a gyro.

\gerhard

Reply to
Gerhard Hoffmann

He says he on "our" side (when "us" tends to vary from moment to moment), but he has been a liar all his life.

The problem isn't his smartness (or lack of smarts) but his ignorance. His history of bankruptcies doesn't suggest that he has much interest in longer-term outcomes.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Bizarre misapprehension.

And precisely what has Obama been convicted of to justify the label "crooked"? Trump using his charitable foundation to pay off politicians is well documented and rates as crooked, but only at the misdemeanour level.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

countries.

And the people who buy and sell those products in the US will also be hurt bad.

Very little of the US price a cell phone ends up in China, and the people w ho order the parts from China are going to have to find somebody else geare d up to make lots of devices, which may take a while.

American manufacturers will have to pay somebody to tool up to replace thei r Chinese suppliers. History suggests that the new factories won't be built in the US - so no guaranteed jobs for Americans.

Like a hole in the head. Germany and Italy have had their own Trump-like le aders. Mussolini claimed to have made the Italian trains run on time, but - in fact - they were slightly less punctual while he was in power. An infla ted idea of your own sagacity isn't a good feature in a politician.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Not a generally accepted proposition.

Pretty much everybody else in US politics at that time was "racist" by more recent standards, and some of FDR's "racist" choices were dictated by the attitudes of the southern Democrats, whose support he needed.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

In a one-party system, there is no opposition to point out corruption.

And what's wrong with deadlock?