Miniature Transducers

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a miniature transducer which would be capable of producing the sound of a high voltage spark discharge? I'm trying to find something that when pulsed with a DC voltage will create that characteristic sharp 'crack' sound, preferably loudly.

TIA

Hint: please try to avoid rude and unhelpful retorts like "what do you want to do that for?" and suchlike.

Reply to
Chris

Back when the world was entirely Analog (early '70's) I had occasion to develop a chip that would replicate the sounds of the typical GM chime, beep, etc, for various alarm functions in the car, allowing a single speaker to replace several different mechanical noise makers.

I did it by simply recording the sounds, then designing a "function generator" on-chip that matched the waveforms of those sounds.

Fun project ;-)

You can probably easily do it now with a digitized recording and a DAC. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Something like this is made for the job, I reckon:

Cursitor Doom

Bash a piezo with a short pulse maybe? George H.

Reply to
George Herold

** Is the sound like the sixth one in this list?

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Just about anything that will generate a small amount of static electricity, when applied to the microphone input of an audio amplifier amplifier. Piezoelectric, triboelectric (friction), magnetic induction, etc. Anything that will produce a voltage should work into an amplifier.

No quarter asked or given:

  1. What are you trying to accomplish?
  2. What do you have to work with?
  3. What have you tried so far and what happened?

Here's what a real spark gap transmitter sounds like: Obviously, this is not what you hear when the mad scientist turns on his diabolical machine, which invariably features a furiously sparking Jacobs ladder.

So, is it something like these that you're trying to simulate? Or perhaps with a little less shock and awe?

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Triggered air spark gap? More joules more louds. 20 kV and 10 uF through an air gap is indistinguishable from a healthy high voltage spark discharge. Or a 30-06.

--
Grizzly H.
Reply to

Pull the fuse out of a small firecracker and insert a model rocket igniter. Your "pulse" will need a little stretching, but not much.

What's the signal source?

How closely does it have to mimic a HV discharge?

Do you need the visible flash too, or is the sound enough?

Who does it have to fool?

Does it need to be repeatable?

Why not just use a HV supply and a spark gap?

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
Alien8752

Well, I am curious as to what you want to do that for.

This may be as useless as you dread, but how about a model airplane engine spark plug, plus a coil from a weed-eater? Because nothing sounds quite as much like a high voltage spark discharge as a high voltage spark discharge.

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

20mm of 0.1mm diameter wire, hit it with 3500V DC from a 1uF microwave oven capacitor.

works once.

--
  \_(?)_
Reply to

** Bet anything it does.

But it is RECKLESS to even suggest such an idea withouy mention of how LETHALLY dangerous it is.

One tiny slip, get the 3.5kV across the fingers of each hand and you are set for a cardiac arrest.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Congratulations on learning why people ask that

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Congratulations on being a useless, know-nothing f*ck.

Reply to
Chris

You just need a wire loop. Miniature is not in the cards generally.

--
Les Cargill
Reply to

Piezo disk, as large as you can find. Strap an SCR across it.

Preferably, the disk will explode when firing; run at slightly lower voltage than this to get a repeatable effect.

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tim Williams

That was my thinking, I have some 2" disks, when you warm or cool them you can get a nice snap! arc out of them.

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

What do you want to do that for?

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Whoa!!!

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

There's piezoelectric spark generators available as replacement parts for your propane grill.

I guarantee, it'll sound just like a high voltage spark.

Reply to
whit3rd

I beg your pardon?

Reply to