Miniature LCD source

I'm doing a little project that requires a small temperature display that is visible in the day light. It has to be small and very cost effective. I was thinking that the display from a cheap LCD watch would work nicely, I just can't seem to find any manufactures of these miniature LCD displays. There are plenty of LCD manufactures, but the displays they seem to offer are much bigger and look expensive. Are all watch LCD's custom?

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thomas

Reply to
Thomas Magma

Most are custom. This type of LCD, is known as a 'direct drive' LCD, and requires antiphase clock drives generated for the segments. They are made by a printing process, and are cheap (I have even had 'one off' units made). A number are available as standard units, for instance:

Their module 3940, might well be close to what you want, with a suitable driver IC. Similarly, the AL2 here:
Is another small module of this type. For your application, a standard alphanumeric unit will probably be easier, since the commonest form of these, includes the driver. Standard watch chips generate the drives, and hence can use the cheaper display.

Best Wishes

Reply to
Roger Hamlett

How about OLED? They not that cheap but really bright. You can take a look here

dmitry

Reply to
Dmitry Mukhin

Take a look at the "AVR Butterfly". It is cheap; you can wear it like a badge; and you can program it in either C or assembly on either Windows or Linux.

good luck Bob Smith

BTW: the butterfly has an on-board termperature sensor.

Reply to
Bob Smith

You may want to call your local diabetic association, as they may have access to discarded "pen type" blood sugar analysers. These have a very small LCD numeric display that would fit your purpose admirably.

Picture:

Michael Gray

Or go to the pharmacy and pick up an LCD fever thermometer for probably about five bucks.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise