Microwave power

exactly.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Fortunately for you, AlwaysWrong isn't a Brit.

Yeah, electric ranges in US kitchens are normally 40 or 50A with possibly two circuits (separate oven and cook top). Of course, gas is often preferred, when available.

Reply to
krw

But as I wrote, here the voltage has *actually* changed from 220 to 230 nominal. (of course it varies, but *around* 230, not within the allowable tolerance around 230)

Reply to
Rob

I just replaced our old toaster oven with a combination air-fryer/toaster oven. It works amazingly well. No electronics, all manual controls. . It was $150 on sale from Bloomingdales.com.

Reply to
sms

With 120V, certain consumer products are not possible in the U.S.. You can get an electric pressure washer but the pressure is fairly low, so you're stuck with gasoline powered pressure washers.

Reply to
sms

How well does the temperature control work for reflow soldering surface mount PCB's?

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Yep. Electric HP = (PSI x GPM) / 1460 Gas Engine HP = (PSI x GPM) / 1100 For example, if you want a 3 gallon/minute flow rate at 2500 PSI, you'll need a 5 horsepower electric motor. That's a rather large motor not found in 117VAC, but can be found for 220VAC. I think 117VAC electric motors max out at about 2.5HP but I'm not sure.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

The typical US wall outlet is rated at 15A.

15A at 117VAC = 1755 watts. 1 HP = 746 watts or 1755 / 746 = 2.35 HP Close enough.
--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

snip

Siemens has a really cool motor app. It even has a nice learning tool of an all about motors kind of thing, not brand specific on that part.

Long Hair

I've no idea where 'here' is - but it can't be here :)

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

And get a haircut, hippy!

Reply to
bitrex

The easy way to align with Europe was to fudge the tolerance specification.

Reply to
Ian Field

It may have been 250V at one point - but that wasn't long after half the country had DC mains.

Reply to
Ian Field

The more affluent hillbillies had gasoline powered washing machines.

Reply to
Ian Field

Never going to.

Europse "standardised" on 230V +/- 10%, basically accepting the status quo. Those that were doing do 220V +/- 5% and those that were doing

240V +/- 5% don't need to change anything.
Jasen Betts

a microwavce oven is basically a voltage doubler driving the magentron. Both the magnetic shuts in the transformer, and the capacitor limit the available current. . . . . . . . . || _____________________ | . || (_____________________3 |-----+ || | . | . | || || | . . . . . . | || _.---||----+ --- || (_ || | /// __ || (_ | _) || (_ | __) || (_ | || `---+--|

Reply to
Jasen Betts

I am familiar with the circuit. It is not a full doubler, it only has one d iode. It puts out an AC coupled sine wave (what's left of it) riding on DC because the diode won't let it go in the other polarity.

When you saw interference on a TV tuned to a UHF channel it was 60 Hz. The frequency apparently varies with the AC. I believe it puts out a negative v oltage and feeds the cathode. Of course this makes the standard TV high vo ltage probe useless.

With a 10 meg meter, 1090 meg probe was the standard and gave you 100 : 1 m ultiplication. I want to put together a 90 meg probe that'll be 10 : 1. Iha ve a VTVM that measures up to 1,500 volts so that would be 15,000 volts ful l scale. It is enough now that CRTs are gone. For scopes n shit it will be more accurate, and in scopes the high voltage needs to be regulated because it affects the deflection sensitivity of the CRT. And some people still li ke those regular (not raster scanned) CRT based scopes. I know I do. I find the waveform more useful or at least familiar than a digitally generated o ne, no mater how it is displayed. Of course the 90 meg probe could be used on a scope as well yielding 100 : 1 multiplication. It wouldn't see much us e but as they say - better to have it and not need it.

Reply to
jurb6006

Supply voltages have stayed the same for compatibility with existing appliances. There's really no upside to a huge voltage change, but lots of cost.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

extra current. "

Maybe, as long as it didn't take out the magnetron, what I read said the ma gnetrons are basically the same.

Ma has a good old microwave from 1994, an expensive Tappan I got her wholes ale from where I worked. It still works but it seems to have a bit less p ower, maybe it is ready or a cap. Irt also seems not to work at all every o nce in a while so I bet that triac is on a PC board and it needs to be reso ldered. It also needs a new liht. One of these days I will tear it down and fix it.

It finally started arcing a year or so ago, from the metal shelf to the ins ide of the oven. We simply removed the metal shelf. It was nice to have but really we almost never used it. If it didn't have plastic parts I would ha ve saved it for broiling or something on the infrared broiler. Let me tell you buddy, NOTHING makes meat like an infrared broiler. The only thing bett er is actual charcoal, propane just doesn't hit the spot. The infrared is j ust as good as the propane. It actually gets hotter unless you have an infr ared burner hooked to the propane.

But the first time I put pizza in this microwave I could tell the differenc e, it was much better. It has been good all these year sand finally needs s ome attention. I think it is worth a new lease on life. If you are familiar with me you know I loathe to buy new shit, because it is shit. Everything is new and improved, that really means less quality resulting in an "improv ed" profit margin for the manufacturer. Everything is junk these days. Don' t even get me started on stereo equipment. The high end got better but cost s $$$, the mid fi we used to buy like Pioneers n shit are all junk now. the speakers suck, they got no low bass, there are so many "features" it takes a month to learn how to work it and there ain't much stereo under there. I 'll take an old Marantz or something old any day over this shit. And TVs, c ars, houses, all just as bad.

So the Tappan will see my bench. I will at least take a chance. I saved the central AC with a cap. Good, because it is an old R22 unit ad you can hard

pensive. I havve no desitre to chsange anything over to R134a because littl e beknownst to many, it is not as efficient. Butane is much more efficient but not use for the obvious reason. Ad I still have some R12 in the tank fo r vintage cars, but it is only for sale at a high price to the chosen few. But I for one, would not like to look under the hood of an old musclecar an d see a sticker that reads "R134a CONVERTED". It is just not Kosher.

Reply to
jurb6006

iances. There's really no upside to a huge voltage change, but lots of cost . "

Yes but Europe went the right way with the higher voltage. At 120 volts wwe need twice the ampacity in the wires.

Edison wanted to use DC, and back then it would have been a problem, though some places did. The old story about the tech with a radio that didn't wor k using a potato to fnds out it was plugged in backwards. I think that was England.

In the US they chose 60 Hz insrtead of 50 Hz because motorsa would run fast er. It also helped with flicker in lights and TV. Were the phosphors in a 5

0 Hz TV longer persistence ?

Ironically now, after Tesla won the argument and we used AC, today DC would be better. Almost everything has a rectifier bridge and a SMPS. They can c onvert DC lore easily than AC. They don't need those massive transformers b ecause of using a much higher frequency. So back then Tesla was right but t oday Edison would be right. Go figure. All we would really lose is synchron ous motors.

Reply to
jurb6006