Microwave Oven with Built in Infrared Thermometer

Is it possible to get infrared temperature measurement in a microwave oven?

I did this experiment.

I tried to measure a cup of hot water through the mesh.. Nope.. Can't measure the temperature.

D from BC myrealaddress(at)comic(dot)com BC, Canada Posted to usenet sci.electronics.design

Reply to
D from BC

I would guess the reflection of the mesh would be too high. Inside, probably if the sensor was shielded, but then you have the same problem with interference. It would have to be a special waveguide.

There was talk some time ago about measuring temps inside a buildings window. That is possible if the outside temp is much colder than inside the building. You can't measure cold insides from outside in the heat. Also, the IR device is only calibrated when its room temp.

It would be possible for a sensor inside a microwave have the magnetron shut off so it can make a measurment. Generally power levels do pulse the power. My turbo/microwave combo switches between heat flow and microwave action.

greg

Reply to
GregS

It's a hard measurement, generally. The way I do it is with a fiber optic cable and a little bit of the phosphor from a light bulb bonded at the inside end of it. No metal to interfere and you can directly insert/inject the tip into whatever and directly measure. Works very well.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

Interesting.. Maybe the sequence could be like this: Microwave off..Shutter opens...Optics take infrared snapshot.. Shutter closes...microwave back on.

If a microwave oven can detect the surface temperature of the food, it could cook by thermal regulation instead of the current cook by timer method.

D from BC myrealaddress(at)comic(dot)com BC, Canada Posted to usenet sci.electronics.design

Reply to
D from BC

I'm not sure how much surface temperature is an issue. I had some Norelco's in the late 70's that had the probe. I never used it. It also had a IR burner.

Today's microwaves are pretty generic. My little Panasonic is the most powerfull. Sometimes when I want to slow cook, I use my giant GE microwave/turbo which only has about 850 watts on microwave, compared to the 1300 watt Panasonic.

greg

Reply to
GregS

"D from BC" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

He he... Trying to make a MW SMT reflow oven?

-- Thanks, Fred.

Reply to
Fred_Bartoli

No.. Just a cooking feature gizmo add-on idea for perhaps improved defrosting and cooking.

btw..I might try a chunk of solder in the microwave to see if it melts or sparks..

D from BC myrealaddress(at)comic(dot)com BC, Canada Posted to usenet sci.electronics.design

Reply to
D from BC

"D from BC" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Too bad. It'd have been... fun :-)

-- Thanks, Fred.

Reply to
Fred_Bartoli

My Sharp microwave (Full 1100W) does very well at defrosting. You push=20 the Defrost button then tell it what, and how many pounds. It does the=20 rest.=20

Works well with ground pork or beef. Haven't tried it with ground=20 chicken yet.=20

Poke a hole in the wall of the microwave, a size and shape that presents a short circuit at the maggie's frequency; that will reflect the RF back. Put a piece of IR-transparent plastic in the hole, and point the pyrometer through it at the food/dish.

Have Fun! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Same...My microwave does a good job at defrosting.. I think there's a humidity sensor used for defrosting. When there's too much humidity the microwave pauses, the fan stays on and when the humidity drops below a point the microwave resumes. I might read the microwave manual some day :P

How about in the case of boiling water.. If a microwave oven had IR sensing, there could be a button labeled 'boil'. No matter what volume of water is put in the microwave, it'll apply power until it senses 100C. ifaik, this feature does not exist.