Microwave Croaked

Our 12 year old microwave just croaked.

Anyone have experience with the Sharp "Microwave in a Drawer"?

The wife wants to move up to double ovens, which would use up the space occupied by the present microwave.

...Jim Thompson

Our Thermador Thermatronic II died -- my wife saw the MCW in a drawer -- and asked -- "how are you supposed to clean it?" (shit if I know how to clean an oven:)

Just got the Kitchen-Aid 2x oven --

Reply to
jack

Some microwaves won't work if the lamp burns out. Replace the lamp and maybe it will work again.

Reply to
Chuck Olson

Lamp is still functional... transformer noises would seem to indicate major fault of some kind :-(

...Jim Thompson

"Jim Thompson"

Most faults that cause an increase in transformer noise are shorts which cause the fuse to blow very rapidly, capacitor punch-through is not uncommon I've seen capacitors with a "pimple" on the casing (a dent punched from inside) which has been caused by the minor explosion in the arced dielectric. Most microwaves have some sort of flashover arrestor which looks similar to the rectifier, this often goes S/C - its a bit naughty but simply snipping it out and replacing the fuse usually gets it going again.

Reply to
ian field

I have seen several double-ovens where the top half is a combined microwave and convection oven and the lower half is a convection-only oven.

A double-oven is truly a blessing. When we moved to the US we thought that was pure kitchen overkill but now it's nice to be able to keep a roast warm while a cake for desert is baking in the other oven.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

So get some more space and stop being a useless sexist cunt without a basic idea of what is required to keep your fat arse fat and your concept of an ability to cook shit.

Sure, you can blow $200 on a meal ($2 excluding the wine) and you need to come here to aks(sic) about cooking utensils!

Please, give your wife my sympathy and she has my permission to kick you about the head. She is not a hole where you put your prick in preparation for self serving clones of yourself.

DNA

Reply to
Genome

Why were you microwaving frogs in the first place? Your not French, and we know it! ;-)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

"Genome" wrote in

You're just in a grumpy mood coz its only a fortnight to your bathnight!

Reply to
ian field

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in

Must have been an awfully big microwave - or very small Frenchies!

Reply to
ian field

No experience of that model, but recently junked a Sharp microwave that we bought new in 1985'ish. Was one of the first of the combined microwave / convection ovens and we went through 3 magnetrons, 2 hv rectifiers and several si diode base temp sensors and line fuses during it's lifetime. The final nail in the coffin that the roof rusted through and the fan stirrer in the convection section rusted all it's blades away.

Reuse: Suggested pop riviting a new roof section in and make a new sheet metal fan, but higher authority decided it was time for new one :-)...

Chris

Reply to
ChrisQuayle

Frenchmen.

Reply to
ian field

You mean like "New Potatoes"?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I meant that "new potatoes" are smaller than full sized potatoes. They are the tiny ones left after the big ones have been dug up. They are about the size of a large marble, have very thin skins and taste great when cooked with green beans.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

My mom's fried its HV rectifiers after about 5 years. I was a kid back then but had enough electronics knowledge to see that they were marginal. So instead of shelling out big bucks for the spares I made two long ladders of 1N4007/resistor sections and we used it another 20 years or so. Never failed again. Took it with us to the US but the 120V/230V conversion with a bulky transformer next to it got old. The WAF of that setup wasn't sufficient.

Now only an engineer can come up with that idea. How often do we hear from our wives "You've got to be kidding!"?

What blew me away was when I went looking for a small microwave that would please my wife. Found one for $50 or $60, don't remember, but it was dirt cheap. The oven mentioned above had been almost $1500 and a guy from the German equivalent of the FCC had to come out and bless the "installation of an RF generator". We got an operator's license for it!

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

I found that you had to be carefull to keep the key contacts free of grease, otherwise after a few months it would get hard to send your callsign clearly.

Reply to
cs_posting

I've rescued microwaves and even TVs from the dumpster, that only needed a fuse.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Nah, it's just envy. I used to envy that guy's money, too, until I realized what a pig-headed, ugly, racist, neonazi fat-ass the guy is.

Now I merely pity him.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Richard The Dreaded Libertaria

Speaking of microwave ovens, I wonder if there's anybody around here who'd be interested in (and capable of) signing an LC for a few thousand left- hand microwave ovens?

Every single microwave oven in the world has the control panel on the right and the door hinge on the left. This arrangement is unsuitable for half of the available kitchen designs, which the refrigerator people realized some time ago, and made reversible doors.

A user-reversible MWO door would be quite an engineering feat, but if I had the cash, I'd just order a MOQ of MWOs with the left-hand door opening (I could draw it up in a couple of days, but haven't really had the impetus yet), and hire kids off the street to go hawk them at Kmart and Wally World and so on. ;-)

When somebody jumps on this, I hope I'm underneath them when their cup runneth over. ;-)

Thanks! Rich

[I could live on what these guys _spill_! )]

PPS: BTW, if you do want to bite on this, Just take the email addy snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (which is a spam dump) and elide ard.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise, Plainclothes Hippi

You could do it on the cheap. Turn the whole thing upside down. Then have a reversible panel that has all the lettering on it, which you would flip, so that the lettering is right side up again. Of course, you would have to learn the new placement of controls, like the "open door" button being on the upper left.

Tam

Reply to
Tam/WB2TT