microstrip vs. coplanar?

Do I understand it correctly that one of the advantages of (conductor-backed) coplanar waveguide over microstrip is the possibility of making (with a suitable gap) the former narrower than the latter, all other things being equal? (Which is to say, R _c, dielectric thickness and \epsilon _r.)

What'd be the disadvantages? (Other than the need for a lot of vias along the trace and the potentially increased losses precisely due to traces being narrower.)

Trying a few samples with a network analyzer, we've found that a 2.83 mm microstrip (1.5 mm / 36 um FR-4) matches 50 Ohm perfectly. Now, as we go for higher frequencies (from about 50 MHz now towards up to 3 GHz), the design calls for a SPDT signal relay, and HF3, whose specs look rather promising, is apparently designed with a coplanar waveguide in mind, and wouldn't be a good fit for a board employing 2.83 mm microstrips.

(Though, as we've found, the considerably cheaper IM03 works rather well up to 50 MHz or so -- with just such microstrips.)

Any comments on the use of coplanar / HF3 in [1], perchance? (In particular, is \epsilon _r = 4.6 FR-4 a thing? I've thought it's more like 4.2 to 4.4.)

Thanks in advance.

[1]
FSF associate member #7257  http://am-1.org/~ivan/
Reply to
Ivan Shmakov

In theory, CPW could be a bit lossier than microstrip, especially with small gaps to the ground plane. The field in the FR4 is high and the field in air is low. But even microstrip has most of the field energy in the laminate.

Epsilon is not well controlled in FR4 and varies with frequency. I use

4.6 for no really good reason.

We use a ton of the Fujitsu FTR-B3GA4.5Z-B10 relays, both the normal and latching versions. They are under $1 each and look good to over 3 GHz.

Don't water wash it.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

CPW may not shield as well as microstrip.

makolber

There are two kinds, CPW and CPW with opposite ground plane. The second should shield as well as microstrip. The first is rare.

I guess there could be two kinds of microstrip too!

This one

has solid copper on the back side.