Microcontroller Based PLC Designing

Hi , I want to design a PLC which use two 8051 Microcontroller in place of Microprocesser in which one operate as a execution unit and second as a control unit.Any body have an idea how to interface them.

Reply to
zalmeh92

What ever for? There probably is a more pointless exercise, but it escapes me for the moment.

Reply to
cbarn24050

You're about 20 years late. I can buy a PLC with everything for 120$

Rene

Rene Tschaggelar

What don't you like about it? The other option would be to try to use a pre-emptive scheduler to keep the PLC part consistent timing, since high-quality control algorithms run on most 8051s will be much slower than can be tolerated in the PLC loop. I've done the latter on Freescale microcontrollers and it's messy too. As far as interfacing-- it's pretty situation-dependent. Maybe he could use SPI or I2C or whatever with some simple protocol to allow the chips to talk to one another. Or even just dedicate a port and some handshaking lines.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Yes you are right . I am 20 year late but I am not going to run any factory with ... I just want to learn .

Reply to
zalmeh92

Only if you cycle time is very short, then splitting the communication from the control loop makes sense. However, the communication between the controller has to be very efficient and short.

I'd set this cycle time below 1ms, where a split of the solution in two controllers is appropriate.

The 8032 family is outdated, kept for legacy reasons to use the already existing tools. Rather have a look at the newer families such as PIC and AVR in the 8 bit world.

Rene

Rene Tschaggelar

He mentioned the 8051. There are 8051s that run at 100MIPS.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

That still is the same family. With one index (far-) pointer. And most are clock div 12. Yawn.

Rene

Reply to
Rene Tschaggelar

Today most are NOT clock div 12.