Microchip wants Atmel

Microchip wants Atmel:

What would it give them of value?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On Wed, 13 Jan 2016 16:15:08 GMT, Jan Panteltje Gave us:

You really that stupid?

Atmel sells an entire line of microprocessors, from ARM based to the old standby C8051, etc. And they have a lot of other chips too.

How is it you can be so smart one day and then be so dumb the next?

What has your silly post given of value to this group?

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Reminds me of the song my father would sing to me as a child:

"I don't want her, you can have her, she's too fat for me."

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

idUSKCN0UR1UJ20160113

Well, I've always loved the Atmel 8-bit parts when I have my software engineering hat on, and Microchip's 8-bit parts when I have my hardware engineering or purchasing hat on.

If Microchip would rip the core out of some PICs and drop in the Atmel core I think it would be a very happy marriage.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Exactly! I think Jan was asking, what does Atmel get out of it?

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

All the future engineers that are using the ATmega328(arduino) and probaly will use something in that lineup in the future.

Martin Riddle

On a sunny day (13 Jan 2016 11:02:55 -0800) it happened Winfield Hill wrote in :

mm all that decadent stuff is all nothing compared to a simple PIC 18F14K22 :-)

8051 is dead, only for ?? repair? ARM they can license that core directly from them. I think it is a bad move.

Never fix something that works (Micro-ship)! Yes Winfield, that is what I was asking.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

At least the Atmel 8 bit core has a modern instruction set optimized for C (and C++! Oh god heaven forbid) compilers.

Writing assembly is lame-o.

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

On a sunny day (Wed, 13 Jan 2016 14:45:56 -0500) it happened Martin Riddle wrote in :

If I was Micro-ship and forced to buy Atmel I would kill it like Microsoft killed Nokia.

Arduino no. I never fell for that, maybe also because them clowns write in C++. That there are many shields maybe nice for hobbyists..

C++ is a crime against humanity, as you by now must have grasped.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Wed, 13 Jan 2016 14:50:42 -0500 (EST)) it happened bitrex wrote in :

Microchip 18F can select advanced instruction set for C.

OK, lemme put it this way:

There are those who say building electronics is lame-o, because rubbing the button on their pod is simpler.

And for some it is simpler, in fact for most.

Asm on PIC is closer to the hardware and you can do more in the same space. The jive about opti-mice compilers being better than an asm programmer is largely crap, I use both C on real computers [1], and asm on small micros. You have to be able to do both, starting with asm.

If you program in C and have no clue about asm you are.. well, in fact doing top down, and where that leads is bloat. You can see it from the programming style of those people, they have NO CLUE about what is happening on the hardware level (go python, C++, other crimes against humanity like Java etc etc.) There is one born every day its seems (languages hmm).. Let me put it an other way:

Even if you know how to talk, what do you have to say? Can you write a novel? ONE language is enough to write a novel worth a nobel.

[1] I consider Raspberry a real computer, can run Linux. would not try asm on it, have not had the need for asm on it, but if I needed to interface to it with high speed I would perhaps use a PIC and write that in asm. Something to do with Linux task switching. There is a real time OS for Raspi too, unfortunately I tried it but do not know enough about that OS (no it is no real-time Linux, that is not realtime).

Anyways getting carried away :-)

Droids suck too. And the apps are spyware, I happened to update my whatsit prepaid on Android today from KPN (network), and they have an app (to control I dunno what), it wanted access to all my contacts, everything. Did not install it. I hacked the shit, and now use that card in my Samsung laptop and eeePC for internet, About 20 lines of code, use a Huawei modem. Just so I can switch away from cable, cable company here was taken over by UPC. Since that day shit happens. I think UPC is US owned? I called them at their free line and told them they qualified for a goodbye.

aap = ape in my language. FYI

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On Wed, 13 Jan 2016 19:46:32 GMT, Jan Panteltje Gave us:

Now I know you are an idiot.

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Wed, 13 Jan 2016 14:50:42 -0500 (EST), bitrex Gave us:

Depends on what you are doing with it.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Well, I have no clue what's really going on inside many of the ICs I use, either (aside from a pretty block diagram, sometimes.) So there is symmetry...

Cool story, bro ;)

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Keep in mind that Atmel chips go for well under $1.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Den onsdag den 13. januar 2016 kl. 20.46.37 UTC+1 skrev Jan Panteltje:

there a still tons of stuff with 8051 in them, most usb drives etc. have one there are something like 20 different manufacturers that make them I doubt that is just for fun

an ARM core is just a tiny blob in the corner of an ARM chip

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Atmel has other products besides micro-processors.

I've done 5 different chips with two different divisions in Colorado Springs.

Three chips were WiFi-related on a BiCMOS process working at up to

5.5GHz.

Two chips were PECL-logic-related Analog functions... OpAmps, comparators and a DAC.

I surely lament Atmel's fade... Colorado Springs is one hell of a nice town to spend weeks during the summer, hell on wheels in winter, but great German food ;-)...

Plus the cog rail up Pike's Peak is a delightful trip. ...Jim Thompson

Same as Dallas got out of it, money! Shareholders don't care so much what the new company does with the technology as long as they get enough cash or stock that they can turn into cash.

I've long since given up trying to even understand what Jan talks about much less why he is talking about it. I've read half this thread with several posts by Jan and so far he has made no sense.

--

Rick
Reply to

What I think Atmel could get out of Microchip buying them is quality control. In about 2003, Atmel almost put our company out of business because off their lack of QC and bad ATMega 32s. Looking at both companie's QC, Atmel had one page they typed up for us and Microchip had a whole dang BOOK of their QC methods !

Atmel may have changed since then, but I certainly would not use another Atmel product unless something like this buyout happened. Their AVR architecture was great but their business practices sucked big time. And we were not the only company in the world to have problems with those parts. Maybe in the US. Seemed to me those parts were really 8 MHz and being sold as 16 MHz parts. They said the problem was with theiir testing and not the silicon. Well, didn't matter, we got the silicon that didn't work but maybe 75% of the time. They finally got it right but not after about $150,000 of problems for us and a nightmare for me that would not go away for about one year.

So, this acquisition would be very good I think.

boB K7IQ

Reply to
boB

Are you dissing Jan? Stop!

Look no one's perfect, Jan does fun stuff and adds wonderful "color" to SED.

Me thinks Phil A. named you correctly.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

On Wed, 13 Jan 2016 15:00:17 -0700, Jim Thompson Gave us:

We call it "Pike's weak". Because they charge money to go up it. Far better is "Mt. Evans" another (nearby) fourteener with the individual distinction of being the highest paved road in the North American continent.. It has a road that goes right to the very top (when it is actually open), and it doesn't cost a dime. There is a lake about 2000 ft down from the summit... a little over half an acre in size.

The eatery at the top kept getting struck by lightning and catching fire so they quit fitting it out as an establishment.. now just a hulk.