Michael Terrell? Anyone heard from him in awhile?

Michael Terrell? Anyone heard from him in awhile?

He wasn't in the best of health. Hope he's OK. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

I sent a private email to him.

I have been waiting since November to see a Cardiologist. I can't sleep laying down, and I am constantly fatigued because of getting very little sleep, in a chair. I haven't been on Usenet for a long time, or Facebook for more than to post a couple messages to old friends.

Michael A. Terrell

Reply to
amdx

I sent a private email to him.

I have been waiting since November to see a Cardiologist. I can't sleep laying down, and I am constantly fatigued because of getting very little sleep, in a chair. I haven't been on Usenet for a long time, or Facebook for more than to post a couple messages to old friends.

Michael A. Terrell ==========================================================

Mikek, please forward this as an email to Michael just in case he doesn't read sed. With apnea I too breathe much better sleeping in a semi-reclined position and what I found works best is an adjustable backrest. This one on amazon looks the best but I had already bought a similar, shorter one before this came out so haven't actually tested this model:

You sit on the "tail" which keeps the thing from sliding away without having to beat up the wall or headboard. A longer towel may be better than their flap. I use the next setting more upright than 45 degrees. The problem with such an upright position is that my head wants to flop to the side causing neck problems so I added a neck pillow:
This had the best side support shape I could find, and between the two I've been sleeping pretty well the last couple of years. Finally, you can put a pillow under each elbow if you need "armrests", and a pillow under your thighs may help you resist sliding down during the night while you get used to this position. When I travel I just fold up the backrest and put it and the neck pillow in a garbage bag and carry it like a suitcase. Always wanted to see the look on a hotel maid's face the first time she saw it sitting on the bed :-).

--
Regards,
Carl Ijames

I passed your info along.

I seem to recall Michael was a veteran, is this 8 month delay a VA problem? How do we resolve this? Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Sounds like the VA in Florida is still corrupt, and has not been whacked into good behavior like it has in Arizona. (Some of Arizona's VA management are now up on criminal charges ;-) ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Well it's not a Salvation Army issue, Sherlock. They're probably hoping he will die before the appointment, and if he doesn't they'll just reschedule for a later date.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

It seems a regional issue... Arizona is cleaning up their act... due to an aggressive whistle blower with balls. They tried to shush him up but he didn't fold. I knew one VA exec is up on criminal charges.

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

There is some pure BS in this. When it comes to life threatening conditions the patient needs to take action if the doctors won't. If a doctor gives you an appointment 8 months out you need to be a bit more assertive. If that doesn't work you need to be *very* assertive and sit in the waiting room every day until they see you. If that doesn't work sit in the waiting room with a sign saying you are waiting to see the doctor or death, whichever comes first.

Or... you can see a different doctor...

--

Rick C
Reply to

I haven't been on here for months. The VA told me right away that they couldn't see me in a reasonable timeframe, so they set up a 'Veteran's Choice' account for me. Then they referred me to a local Cardiologist. They did an EKG and looked at my medications, and told me they would schedule me, as soon as possible. That was five months ago.

I spent hours on the phone with workers at the VA as they tried to find someone to treat me. A big problem is all the snowbirds who tie up the local VA clinics during the cooler months. It seems like all of them manage to need appointments while they vacation in Florida. The VA needs to send some doctors south for the same time period, to help with the seasonal overloading. The local VA clinic that I use has 100 exam rooms, yet my appointments are 9 months apart, rather than the three that they should be. They had a 30% unused capacity when the clinic first opened, about seven years ago.

--
Never piss off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Carl, I have a hospital bed with an additional six inch memory foam mattress, and even that doesn't help, but thank you for the suggestions.

--
Never piss off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Are you part of that conspiracy? Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Looks like something seriously wrong in Florida. Here, in March, when I suddenly turned yellow, saw GP same day I called, saw bile duct surgeon next day, in hospital for surgery the next day.

I'm on Medicare with a Mutual of Omaha Supplemental policy. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Wow! I wonder what the problem is seeing a Cardiologist. I know he goes to the VA but that's bad, even for them.

Reply to
krw

No, but Blobby approves.

Reply to
krw

When you're this sick, it's *really* hard to be aggressive with doctors (or anyone else). Without an advocate, you're pretty much toast. In this case, apparently they know it.

With the VA, not so much.

Reply to
krw

Hi Michael! After my bypass surgery, I had to sleep in a recliner for five months. I definitely feel your pain. I don't sleep on my back (leg cramps) so none of the risers I tried for the bed worked for me. Hang in there and get the damned doctors to do their job!

Reply to
krw

That's ridiculous. I just had an issue and got into mine the same day and was scheduled for "surgery" (cardiac cath work) within three weeks (tomorrow).

But it's July! The snowbirds melted long ago.

Reply to
krw

I'm not eligible for another month. There is a shortage of doctors around here. Too many are retiring, or cutting back office hours. It is difficult to find doctors accepting new Medicare patients, as well.

--
Never piss off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

--
I've had very good results with medicare, so far, in terms of who's on
board and who gives a shit.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Fields

Hi Michael! After my bypass surgery, I had to sleep in a recliner for five months. I definitely feel your pain. I don't sleep on my back (leg cramps) so none of the risers I tried for the bed worked for me. Hang in there and get the damned doctors to do their job! ====================================================================

I slept in my recliner a couple of nights a week until I figured out the backrest. You can pile pillows into a wedge but it isn't reproducible or stable :-). The neck pillow was as important as getting the vertical angle correct. I need about 52-55 degrees, more upright than 45 degrees, and at that angle the weight of my head doesn't press back into a normal pillow enough to form a groove deep enough to keep my head supported laterally so that it wouldn't fall off to one side or the other. I kept waking up with a "crick" in my neck, sometimes a few times each night. My first solution was a full size bath towel. Grab a pair of diagonal corners and pretend it is a jump rope to roll it up, put it over your head so the thickest section is at the base of the skull, and pull the ends tight and cross them over under the chin. That does a pretty good job of keeping the head vertical and supported without a pillow. Give it a try just to see if that is part of your problem. Good luck, and I hope you get some medical attention soon.

--
Regards,
Carl Ijames