metric usage

Questions about everyday engineering usage in europe:

If I were referring to a pcb size, would I generally use cm or mm? I get the general impression that mm is preferred. How would I describe a pcb's area, in everyday verbal usage? "21,000 square mm"?

How about pressure, as in tire or shop air pressure? Would you use pascals, or something else? Atm? It takes a lot of pacals to inflate a tire.

And force in mechanical assemblies? Is kg ever used casually as a unit of force?

John

Usually square dm (=10x10cm = 100x100mm)

atm

AFAIK its Newton.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

John Larkin a écrit :

Unit used for mechanical stuff is mm. For pcb surface we use dm^2, which is 100mmx100mm, or cm^2 for small ones.

For pressure we use either Pascal or bar (which is 100kPa). Atm is almost not used anymore. Are you missing the odd conversion factor?

Force is expressed in newtons. kg is a mass unit and shouldn't be used for force.

--
Thanks,
Fred.

Scientists and carpenters use centimeters. Engineers and technicians use millimeters.

It usually takes from 2 to 2.5 atmospheres.

Kg of force. Newtons and pascals are kind of snobbish.

Vladimir Vassilevsky

"John Larkin" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

mm, mm^2 Kilo pascals Newtons

Martin Riddle

You would refer to small scale length declarations in mm. The areal declaration would be in square cm.

Intuitive grasp of how easy it is to "imagine" how big a board is given in sq cm, and how sq mm would be slightly harder to grasp is a good skill to have.

You should already know this answer.

Ever heard of kPa? Sheesh, look at any modern bicycle pump, idiot.

Newtons. Pretty basic stuff. Where have you been. math boy?

Pretty sad that you claim I dislike or shy away from math, yet you have no clue as to any of these simple scientific particulars of our modern culture.

Reply to
StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt

In much the same way that we misuse 'pound' as a measure of mass in the US*, I see 'kg' or 'gm' commonly misused as a measure of force.

  • In fact, if you're working on an engineering problem and you want to be clear, you should use "lbm" for "pound-mass" and "lbf" for "pound- force". Or use "slug", and confuse the hell out of everybody.
--
http://www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

In England we use psi for tyre pressures :)

Reply to
TTman

And I bet you still drink beer by the pint.

John

Do the faux Irish etc. bars in the US ever use real (570ml) 'pint' glasses or are they all the bitsy ones?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Of course, but don't forget that UK and USA pints are different (20 fl oz rather than 16 fl oz). But food is sold in kg (apart from milk and perhaps a few other exceptions) and dimensions of building materials are specified in mm. Most tyre pumps are dual mode and display psi or bar. Petrol (gas) is sold in litres. And yes, pcbs are specified in mm. However, many people still refer to component dimensions in the imperial form such as 0603 for resistors rather than the metric equivalent 1608.

John

Reply to
John Walliker

Lots of places offer a pint, which looks about like a pint to me, and usually a smaller glass. A few heroic joints offer a 22 oz glass as well.

But faux Irish bars? We have lots of real ones. And the occasional authentic Irish bartender, and even some authentic Irish drunks.

Guinness, Harp, and Bass are common on tap, so you can get a Black&White or a Black&Tan if you really want one. Joints with 20 or so draft beers aren't unusual.

This is a short walk from work, and we go there for beer and burgers on nice days. The dining area is rough wooden tables outside, in the dirt, under a freeway ramp. 40 beers on tap, including Chimay. It's not as fancy as the pictures suggest.

They all use the 16oz pint, as opposed to the British 20oz one. (You can do the conversion to metric.)

When the U.S. "changed" to the metric system for "packaged" liquor, the longtime used half gallon bottle of whiskey became 1.75 L, which saved the distillers a couple of ounces.

--
Virg Wall
Reply to

Even the "western" bars around here have adopted the etched fill-line... even on wine glasses :-)

And our funeral processions are now escorted by bikers... we westerners have our own ways of solving "issues" ;-) If the parishioners of The Church of Our Lady of the Anti-gay Nutcases show up around here, it will be their last appearance. ...Jim Thompson

TTman laid this down on his screen :

Yes and you use litres of petrol to travel miles. How metric is that lol

--
John G
Reply to

Linear mm is preferred since someone might get the idea you didn't really care about size if you specified 6cm rather than 6.0cm or 60mm.

As RWiS says of 1cm : "most practitioners find it 2.54x too small". dm are sort of a handy size for area (roughly a 4" square).

Bar = 100kPa (which is an atmosphere to within 1%)

Interestingly in hospitals blood pressure is still measured and recorded in mmHg since the bureaucrats tried metricating to kPa and then discovered it caused so many gross transcription errors that patients charts showed crazy converted values that made no sense at all.

Vacuum guys have a tendency to use Torr for simplicity.

kg.f although available in principle is almost never used.

Most tyre pumps are dual calibration (and have been for decades) with bar to one decimal place and psi for the older geriatric motorists.

I find miles per litre a convenient if perverse hybrid measure for quick mental arithmetic on fuel efficiency (normal is 11). My German car annoyingly does metric km/L fuel calculations but only updates the mpg when the value in km/L makes a transition. Previous firmware correctly updated the mpg display for every 0.1 transition in mpg.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown
[snip]

Yes, we do, but we also offer the user the option to switch to Pascal or mBar.

Lee [snip]

Reply to
Lee

DGMS on German auto firmware. My Audi is a nightmare.

John

Does anybody know why there are so freaking many different units for pressure?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Back in Minneapolis, I used to drink at a bowling alley that sold beer in very large glasses that could very well have been a whole pint (to the eyeball), albeit an American one.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise