Mentor Graphics purchased by Siemens

Just got an email from Electronic Design announcing that Siemens has purchased Mentor Graphics for $4.5 billion.

I am still using PADS2004 for schematic capture, PCB layout, and autorouting. I also have their version 9.2 product, but I don't use it, and my support has lapsed years ago. I still have a current license that is good until October 2030 so I probably don't need to worry about that - I doubt I'll even still be here or designing boards by then.

I wonder what other ramifications this will have on the EDA industry. Maybe jobs moving to Europe?

Paul

Reply to
P E Schoen

Siemens already owns SolidEdge as well as Parasolid (the 'engine' used in Solidworks and many, many other CAD software packages)

.. and some other manufacturing software companies.

This seems analogous to the consolidation of electrical manufacturing companies with European ownership (ABB, Siemens etc.) in the last couple of decades.

I doubt it will change much from the users' point of view.

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany