Maximum rep rate for a standard microswitch.

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

n, I

Because he's driving an electromechanical counter.

--

  Rick C.

  -+- Get 2,000 miles of free Supercharging
  -+- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

I am guessing that a microswitch is limited by its mechanical construction, just like a relay (in region of 100mSec), so microswitch is probably speed limited in the region of 30mSec at best. WHY a physical switch? Paint a (thin?) stripe on the shaft and use optics to pick off a pulse, thereby giving you easy microsecond capability.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Best reed switches are in the region of 1mSec..one way.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Abs-so-toovely.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Lasse Langwadt Christensen wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

I'll bet if he switched from hard switched to SSRs and a programmed power waveform, that little thing could make some real 'work' numbers.

I wonder what using litle magnet slugs on the pistons would do for the resultant 'power' (at the shaft).

Cool little machinist. Nice job.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Was your drive mechanically push-pull? The mass of the lever and the spring return force inside the switch probably limits return speed and rep rate.

Reply to
jlarkin

you are missing the point. it is a a toy which main purpose is to be an excuse to to play with his other toys (machine tools)

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

SSR switching for DC power into an inductive (solenoid) load? Not a happy combination. A Sziklai pair would be appropriate, and the solenoid speed might benefit from some lossy snubbers anyhow. For the price of a good SSR, you could replace the counter with a solid-state LCD module that runs off a watch battery.

Reply to
whit3rd

That is 18mSec, better than my pseudo-educated guess. So, maybe about 10mSec max?

Reply to
Robert Baer

fredag den 20. september 2019 kl. 17.09.23 UTC+2 skrev snipped-for-privacy@decadence.org:

it's a toy, nothing is going to make it make anything useful

there's reasons electric motors are not made that way

sure and that was the main purpose, an excuse to spend some time playing with machine tools

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

He sure LOVES Loctite. Inefficient construction,more steps than needed. Fur starters, that solenoid could have been machined as one part. And those "dumbell" shaped items could have been made as if a thick PCB trace, or CNC or molding.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Lasse Langwadt Christensen wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

And I saw super glue, and not much loctite. Maybe my attention shifted a couple moments...

I think it would have exhibited more power if the pistons had rare earth magnets glued onto the ends (or in the center of them). Then they are linear motors instead of solenoids.

He probably made them slide to closely together as well, as I saw the oil grooves. No need to make a solenoid piston that tightly toleranced, so a lot of juice is lost just reciprocating them slugging so closely together in oil no less. Loose would work better, with the only difference being noise level.

I would have made Aluminum slugs with coin magnets (the thick ones) attached. Less reciprocating mass.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

whit3rd wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

It wasn't about the counter. Those switches powered the solenoids and drove the rotation.

With SSR drive, he could shape the waveform to an optimal input.

The counter is something else. I was not even referring to that.

Maybe he could set the spread of the switch banks to be adjustable, and thereby find an optimal set point for the switch actuator locations to optimally fire the solenoids. Sequencing is everything.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Lasse Langwadt Christensen wrote in news:a4ea942a- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

I *know* it is a toy. I did not need you to tell me that.

I came from Cincinnati. I knew what 10,000th inch tolerances were back in '69 at 9 years of age. I think I can tell a tinker toy from a Antikythera Mechanism.

It is a simple discussion... about that toy. Sheesh.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Get a mercury-wetted reed. You have to mount them with-in 15 degrees of vertical, but the mercury stops them twanging and bouncing.

And they are good for 100 million operations, rather than the 10 million you get with regular reeds before the contact resistance rises appreciably.

And the contact resistance is lower, and more stable.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Bill Sloman wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

I thought they solved that with platinum.

Yes, but not cheap.

why has no one mentioned regular old automotive points? Hundreds of millions of cycles and good to go. Very fast rep rate too. 6000 RPM engine x 8 cycles per = 800 pulses per second.

With their HV application, still get hundreds of millions if the condenser match is good.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

and small wheel on the end.

grip around the chuck to move the actuator up and down - I easily got it t o operate at over 60Hz.

-

I find it amusing that you are suggesting you know better how to machine th an a machinist. I think I understand the reason why he make the solenoid c oil forms the way he did. I'm not sure what you are saying about the conne cting rods. They are what you mean by "dumbell shaped pieces", no?

--

  Rick C.

  -++ Get 2,000 miles of free Supercharging
  -++ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

He has a lathe yet he's winding those solenoids by hand which ends up looking just plain messy and lets the whole thing down. Shame.

Cursitor Doom

Yeah, I agree with that. I was also wondering about the switch positioning. I guess it's not really very critical just to make it turn.

It was a good video. Hard to turn away from interesting work.