Mathematics predicts a sixth mass extinction by 2100

In a paper published in Science Advances, he proposes that mass extinction occurs if one of two thresholds are crossed: For changes in the carbon cycl e that occur over long timescales, extinctions will follow if those changes occur at rates faster than global ecosystems can adapt. For carbon perturb ations that take place over shorter timescales, the pace of carbon-cycle ch anges will not matter; instead, the size or magnitude of the change will de termine the likelihood of an extinction event.

bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Chronic depressive.

lunatic fringe electronics

Futile. As one sed'r confessed here years ago, 'I don't care about the future. I live now.'

Reply to
Flat Ron

On a sunny day (Wed, 20 Sep 2017 13:23:33 -0700 (PDT)) it happened snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in :

It is much more likely the mass-extinction will start when that idiot trumpasite starts WW3 (in about a year).

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

No, no, no! It's all a very clever plan to balance out global warming with a nuclear winter...I hope they get the math right!

Reply to
Bill Martin

Trump's cunning plans do seem to change from outing to outing, so the one where they got the math right isn't likely to be the one he implements.

Since he's working through a terminally divided Republican Party in Congress, he's unlikely to be able to implement any plan that he can't also sell to the Democrats.

Trump's "plans" don't actually have much substance - they exist to impress the punters, rather than to describe any kind of process that might happen in the real world - like his sweet and lovely wall along the US-Mexican border.

Taking them seriously is a waste of time.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to