master-slave flip flop vs edge triggered flip flop.

Something like this?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

hi all, I want to know the advantages of edge triggered flip flop over master- slave flip flop. Please let me know this. thanks in advance.

Reply to
saraswathyrl

It is politically incorrect to have one flip-flop be a slave to another so you can keep yourself out of trouble by calling them edge triggered.

Reply to
MooseFET

Nah. A flip-flop isn't human until 27 weeks gestation, at least not in the UK. ;) (Of course over there it's now legal to genetically combine them with human DNA.) :(

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Wot? And create more 'Demented Donkeys'?

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Except an "edge-triggered" flip-flop IS "master-slave".

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Or, to be pickey, a master-slave flipflop is an edge-triggered device.

John

Or to be even "pickier"... There's no such thing as an edge-triggered flip-flop... at least in modern silicon. (In the "good-old-days", there was the "T-flop" with capacitor drive that might be called an edge-triggered device, but even that is a stretch.)

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

There are certainly a lot of modern microwave prescalers that use non-m/s flipflops. And they are edge sensitive. There are even some "dynamic" flipflops used in prescalers, some of which won't work below some lower frequency, and some that self-oscillate with no input.

John

[snip]

Got some part numbers so I can check them out and see how they are working?

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

In the finest RF tradition, these parts are pitifully specified. There are probably some patents that might give clues as to how they actually work. Let us know if you find anything interesting.

John

Not if resistors, capacitors, and inductors are involved in the input section. The first stage is a half shot not a flip flop.

Reply to
MooseFET

Huh? Please post a schematic of an edge-triggered flip-flop. I'll make it easy on you... you are allowed to use a PECL/ECL configuration ;-)

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Hi all, Thanks for answers. Sorry I will reframe my Question.

" advantages of edge triggered flip flop over master- slave Latch set up"

thanks in advance..

r-

=A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

=A0 | =A0 =A0mens =A0 =A0 |

| =A0 =A0 et =A0 =A0 =A0|

=A0|

=A0 =A0 =A0 |

uoted text -

Reply to
saraswathyrl

"Jim Thompson" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Technically you're right. But is is also politically incorrect to go too deep into this question. (Too deep is beyond the point that politicians can or will understand.:)

petrus bitbyter

Reply to
petrus bitbyter

I was refering to a MML[1] flip-flop design.

Posting it in ascii art is a little beyond what I'm willing to do but I will give you the input section from memory:

22p !/ Clock ----!!------+------+-----! ! ! !\\e 330R \\ --- ! / ^ 0v \\ ! ! 0v ) 22u ) ) ! 0V

[1] MML = Mickey Mouse Logic

Reply to
MooseFET

No. Not all edge-triggered flipflops have the master-slave architecture. And not all master-slave flops are edge-triggered; one could design a m/s level-sensitive transparent latch.

Master-slave is an internal architecture. D, T, JK, RS, level-sensitive, edge triggered, are all external behaviors.

The DDR flops in Xilinx io blocks are interesting; they have two edge-sensitive clocks. That must be interesting to implement; it can't be classic master/slave.

I used to design flipflops that used only resistors, capacitors, and diodes.

John

That's similar to what I was referring to, from the '60's.

See...

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

See...