Mastech power supply

Anyone had either a bad or good experience with Mastech power supplies? We were buying some nice 36V 3A supplies from Kenwood/ (now Texio) but the US supplier can=92t seem to get stock. I=92ve ordered this

50 V 3 A supply from Mastech,

And though the exterior quality is far below the Kenwood. It seems to work just fine. (meets it=92s specs). And is able to drive our Earth=92s Field NMR coil with out blowing up. I opened it up and it has a nice big torriodal transformer in it. The power on button is a bit dicey, held in place with three plastic standoffs. It=92s hard to argue with the price though, $110. 1/4 what we were paying for the Kenwood.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

We have 4 or 5 Mastechs and they work fine. We opened one up to try to modify it - it wasn't practical - and the construction looked very good. We can't understand how they can put all that stuff in there for the price.

The terminals are ordered neg-gnd-pos, which is a pain. That's what we wanted to change.

 Click to see the full signature

Did you look into Meanwell power supplies? They are inexpensive and reliable.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Nico Coesel

his

h=92s

,

Thanks for THIS source!

Reply to
Robert Macy

y,

Thanks, and I also have no idea how they can sell this for ~$100.

The banana plug/binding posts are a bit chincy. Very small holes for wires and the holes aren't flush on the back side.. so screwing in the terminal will crimp the wire. I'm not complaining though.. for a few more dollars, they could clean up the exterior and put Texio out of business.

George H.

.highlandtechnology.com=A0 jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Reply to
George Herold

red this

arth=3D92s

y,

th

Thanks Nico, This is a bench top supply with both CC and CV control. And also some display. I always thought of meanwell as fixed voltage switchers.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

We had one (out of less than 6) of their big 30V/50A switching lab supplies croak on us, for no apparent reason. Pretty much unrepairable, and not particularly impressive construction inside.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

this

th=92s

y,

quoted text -

Hmm, that's not so good. Did it fail quickly? (We could try some burn in testing.) I could also hope that the 'easier' linear supplies are less prone to error.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

I thought you where looking for that :-) But I guess you are not.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Nico Coesel

We have a few of these in the lab which get used often. They work fine for cheapo supplies. I had one blow up a couple months ago with a loud bang and a cloud of vapor above it. The input filter capacitor blew its guts out along with lots of goo. What a mess!!! Capacitor had slightly more voltage across it than the rated voltage. After that experience, we replaced the input capacitor on our other Mastech supplies.

Funny thing, it was marked with Nippon Chemicon logo and family number, but NCC doesn't make a capacitor in that family with the voltage/capacitance rating and terminal type. Probably a counterfit Chinese knockoff capacitor.

Reply to
qrk

I have their HY6003D, so I can test aircraft electronics designs. Has been good to me so far. Wish the fan was temp-controlled to only come on when needed. But, oh well, maybe I'll retrofit that in there some day.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I'm thinking about buying this one:

They come in different current ratings and output voltages.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Nico Coesel

Be sure to look at the manual before you purchase.

John S

Reply to
John S

this

th=92s

y,

Hmm was that a switching supply? The linear one I've got has no input cap. There is a big alum. electro 100V 4700uF. (on the output of the rectifier bridge.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

h s

ey,

Well there's no fan in the 50V version. If your're anything like me, the retrofit will happen when the fan stops working.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

(now

92ve orde=3D

ive our E=3D

nice

it dice=3D

rgue wi=3D

wood.

ed text -

Ebay is nice, for oneses. We need to buy ~30-50 per year to sned with instruments.

Reply to
George Herold

Then there's still the redneck fix: Duct-tape the fan scavenged out of uncle Leroy's old IBM-XT to the side of it, where them thar slots are :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I'm sure most manufacturers can make you a good deal. Even the Ebay seller might be able to supply you directly. I often make contact through Ebay and buy direct from the seller. Especially if I need more than one. Most sellers offering these kinds of products are dealers for test equipment.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Nico Coesel

now

his

..

rth s

ce

icey,

.

on

Grin, I'm not sure about the duct tape, but some old fan would be ok. I'd try and get a screw or two in somewhere.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Have you checked mpja.com?