Making wireless bridge

I need one simple and cheap solution for this situation:

IP camera -> wireless router wireless router --> network switch

Shortly : I can not pull cable between IP camera and rack, so we have to go wireless. What kind of gear should i use ?

GM

Reply to
gm

You can build it with old PC, laptop or SBC with two wlan interfaces. One running normal client mode and one running host AP mode.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

I dont have much space. Maybe raspberry with wireless usb?

Reply to
gm

Intel Edison (2"x1") with built-in WiFi AP + USB host (with another USB WiFi adapter).

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

You might have to tweak this slightly to make it all wireless.

I installed dd-wrt on a router I bought from Craigslist because the wired ports worked fine but the wireless didn't work. Bad firmware that even a firmware upgrade didn't cure. dd-wrt fixed it all.

Bought a new router and nearly forgot about the old one. Found it in the garage then this worked, to connect a wired-internet-only blu-ray+netflix player to the web.

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

Oh wait, your camera is wired? Then this exact setup will work. Same as my situation.

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

Whether the camera is wired or wireless, i think the OP's problem is that it cannot be reached by just one wireless zone. He can build wireless repeater as described in my previous post.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

You can use dd-wrt on at least one of the routers and set it up as a wireless bridge. It also supports wireless distributed systems WDS. I have used this in a past on a WRT54g, adn Have a wrt2000 on the receiving end.

If you use WDS both routers need to support WDS.

Martin Riddle

Put a Raspberry Pi alongside the camera, with a wireless dongle. Put a standard WLAN router alongside the switch. Configure the WLAN and Raspberry wireless to work together.

It may be complicated to make the wired and wireless interfaces on the Pi to bridge, but it should be sufficient to make the Pi forward IP packets between the interfaces.

--

-TV
Reply to

Pi 3.0 has wireless built in.

Reply to
Wayne Chirnside

/\ || that one should be a wireless bridge. simple and cheap should not be a problem, simple cheap and reliable OTOH... pick any two.

--
  \_(?)_
Reply to

I have a couple of WRT-54G running DD-WRT that only get reset when the power fails. It doesn't get cheaper than that.

--
Les Cargill
Reply to