Making secure mechanical connection to IC pins to modify equipment

I have a piece of music gear on my bench which I'm modding for a client. Needs some new wires attached to the uP bus to fan out to some CMOS logic on a daughterboard.

What's the the neatest way to secure these new connections? Soldering the wires to the pins on the underside of the PCB is one option, but doesn't seem very mechanically secure, or professional.

Reply to
bitrex

Move the CPU itself to the daughterboard, then use IDC DIP headers and a ribbon cable to connect the two boards. What the FCC doesn't know won't hurt 'em, right?

-- john, KE5FX

Reply to
John Miles, KE5FX

I wonder if that might cause timing issues with the rest of the circuit. It's only a humble 8051 at 16MHz, though, so maybe not.

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Mechanically clamp the (ribbon?) cable to the pcb. Then solder each line.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Wire-wrap socket under the 8051?

Reply to
whit3rd

I think Mill-Max has some long collet style socket-pins that would make a nice piggyback board.

Actually DIP sockets with long pins series 126-XX-XXX-41-001000

Martin Riddle