Make your own Power Transformer

Most efficient would be a heat pump, but only by a little; the cost would be considerable. So, for economic purposes, an immersion heater with reasonable insulation (which ever since the "space age", Dewars have been not just practical, but rather cheap even), is about as good as it gets.

Another comparison might be natural gas direct (stovetop teakettle), versus power station plus distribution plus whatever kitchen appliance is used; but this isn't a very interesting comparison as a very small fraction of energy (in either form) is used for heating beverages. :-)

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Tim Williams

I'm sticking with the functional definition: if it's used at 1500VA, then it is a 1500VA transformer.

I didn't say that there was no fan and it isn't continuously loaded - more intermittently than in an oven.

So what? It's been working perfectly for 10 years. How would it work better if I had gone to the trouble of scoping the primary current and adding turns? Running cooler doesn't count as "working better".

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

**

** 400VA would be the limit under the conditions as stated.

What you failed to mention is your problem.

** It needed mentioning.

** Aside from humming and running hot all the time....
** No mention of "scoping" came from me.

** Does in most folk's book. I can see you are made from different stuff.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

With a resistive load, yes; with a rectifying load, could be either or both.

Reply to
whit3rd

could also be much higher with nonlinearity.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

These days, the bobbin could possibly be 3D-printed?

--
RoRo
Reply to

If you don't mind it melting.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
https://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Not so -- I might not be inclined to trust an extruder product, at least not without a much fancier material than ABS or PLA (and in which case, you may need a special extruder head to handle the much higher temp, and possibly the abrasiveness if it's glass fiber reinforced).

There are some pretty fantastic materials available in UV-cure resin, though! Just a matter of how much you're willing to pay for it, and how much you'll be able to use within its shelf life...

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Tim Williams

Yeah, but you need a UV laser system to cure it. It would probably be cheaper to machine it from solid yourself than to get it printed.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Go to a motor rewind shop and ask for the paper they use to insulate the wire when they put it in the slot. It' not paper actually and will withstand high temperatures. Then use their high temp tape to put together a bobbin. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Improvise?

--Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
speff

Probably Nomex.

Reply to
John S

Yep, I probably still have some in my junk box from the early 80's. I used it to insulate between windings on pot core transformers in the late 90s. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

We used it in high power inductors and transformers in the 80s to 90s. Never had a problem.

Reply to
John S