Mains Transient Supression

Hello

I'm looking for some help with Mains transient suppression for an electronic device consuming about 20W. The device is operated in a heavy industrial environment.

I have spent hours and hours trolling the net looking for typical examples of robust transient supression for 230vac mains supply. I see snippets of circuits with MOVs and Gas Distarge Tubes but I am confused and I can find no typical values for an industrial environment.

Can anyone help. All suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Regards Simon

Reply to
Simon

"Simon"

** Depends entirely on the specifics of the device.

Does the device already exist or is it being designed ??

** Most electronic devices are protected from AC supply spikes merely by having a bridge rectifier and filter electro at the PSU input or after a transformer.

This arrangement inherently clips incoming spikes to the voltage level of the filter cap - something no MOV across the AC can achieve.

........ Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Use a 230 VAC isolating power transformer. Use very well rated components with plenty of voltage margin. A mains filter block will probably prove useful. Consider how you ground your device.

I would be more concerned with inputs and outputs - I assume the device doesn't run without some sort of sensors or outputs?

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Are you actually experiencing any problems with this device at the moment or are you anticipating that you will be? If you are currently experiencing problems it would be helpful if you could describe the type of problems you are having since the solution will depend to some extent on this information.

Reply to
Ross Herbert

Hello Simon,

If possible, place the MOV at the secundary side of the transformer. The size of the MOV (the power it can handle) determines the level of protection. Note that the voltage across the MOV will still rise significantly, so the rest of the circuit must be capable of withstanding that. Look at the max voltage the rectifier bridge can handle.

-- A.J. Kool Elektronica ontwerp Meetapparaat ontwerp

Reply to
A.J. Kool

"A.J. Kool"

** Whaaaaaaat ??????
** Complete BOLLOCKS !!

Mr Kool is a red HOT idiot.

Reply to
Phil Allison

--
I\'d use an unregulated brute-force mains-to-DC supply with a large
reservoir capacitor to run an inverter which would supply power to