MacArthur 'Genius' Grant Winners

Larkin is conspicuously absent...oh well... maybe next year.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/10/11/556891441/here-are-the-2017-macarthur-genius-grant-winners

Re: MacArthur 'Genius' Grant Winners
On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 08:53:54 -0700 (PDT),

I'm not a genius. I'm just a circuit designer.

What do you do?

lunatic fringe electronics

Re: MacArthur 'Genius' Grant Winners

Who would want to be listed as a certified "genius" anyway; it sounds
horrible kind of like the job of pop star or politician

Re: MacArthur 'Genius' Grant Winners
On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 12:13:55 -0400, bitrex

I wouldn't mind being rich, but I don't want to be famous. The Brat
and I both dress with the same goal, to be mostly invisible.

lunatic fringe electronics

Re: MacArthur 'Genius' Grant Winners

If you own two homes in the US you're already richer than 95% of people
on the planet. I think you mean "super rich" not just like "regular rich"

Re: MacArthur 'Genius' Grant Winners

Very few people believe they are rich themselves.  They always see the rich
as those more prosperous than themselves.

--

Rick C

Re: MacArthur 'Genius' Grant Winners

Some other young guys I know in tech feel they're paid an obscene amount
of money for what they do and hardly know what to do with it all. I'm
not making Google money like some of those cats are, though.

Probably mostly because we're not married and don't have a wife and X
kids and mortgages to pay. Living in the Bay ain't cheap for anyone,
much less a family.

As a single man living on the Rhode Island border I feel like I'm living
large spending maybe $600 a month at the outside on
non-food/housing/transit expenses.

Re: MacArthur 'Genius' Grant Winners
On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 13:21:34 -0400, bitrex

$600/month isn't even much of a toy budget.

Re: MacArthur 'Genius' Grant Winners

  $ 7200 a year,  $ 720,000 in ten years.  Enough that finding a place to put the toys would take some effort.

                                    Dan

Re: MacArthur 'Genius' Grant Winners
On Fri, 13 Oct 2017 05:07:18 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@krl.org"

                           ^-- Extra zero

Big toys come in small packages.  ;-)

Re: MacArthur 'Genius' Grant Winners
On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 12:38:18 -0400, bitrex

If you have a positive net worth over $1, you are richer than about
30% of the US population combined.

If I were super-rich I guess I could design bigger circuits.

Re: MacArthur 'Genius' Grant Winners

I like little ones!

Check out what happens to dc temp sweep of the current thru R3 in this
circuit if you make R4 double the value of R1:

<https://imgur.com/a/zL2dt

Re: MacArthur 'Genius' Grant Winners
On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 13:47:01 -0400, bitrex

Impressive. What's beta and Vcc sensitivity? What's it for?

Re: MacArthur 'Genius' Grant Winners

Vcc sensitivity and load sensitivity not so-ah good, don't know about
beta. No use in particular, just seeing if it were possible to
temperature compensate the standard diode/led + transistor current
source with another transistor.

Seems so but I'm guessing there's probably some set of component values
that's a compromise between vcc/temperature/load sensitivity. That will
take some fun math to find.

Re: MacArthur 'Genius' Grant Winners
On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 16:24:41 -0400, bitrex

The forward drop tempco of some LEDs is close to that of a transistor
B-E junction, so an LED and an emitter follower can make a voltage
with a very low tempco. And it glows in the dark.

Re: MacArthur 'Genius' Grant Winners

Just do a diff pair -- that puts the Vbe's in anti-series.

You still need some way to set the reference voltage/current, which is where
the diodes normally come in, but that's bad.  You could subtract two Vbe's
from the diodes and use a ratio of currents to get some mV of reference, but
now you just have a boring old bandgap reference. :)

On a related note, this is fun, when you need more current and lower dropout
than the conventional circuit:
https://www.seventransistorlabs.com/Images/Low_Sat_CCS.png
In my doodlings I've mostly used this motif for peak current mode sensing.

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Re: MacArthur 'Genius' Grant Winners

Probably not. You'd have spend longer on individual projects than you'd be comfortable with.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: MacArthur 'Genius' Grant Winners

True, but you're the proponent of electronics changed the world theory.

As little as possible...

Re: MacArthur 'Genius' Grant Winners
On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 09:31:54 -0700 (PDT),

All the soft-studies types talk about human progress in terms of
philosophy and religion and politics. That's mostly silly: what has
driven human progress has been technology, implemented by engineers.

Is that what you mean?

What do you do?

Re: MacArthur 'Genius' Grant Winners

Psst: there's no such thing as "human progress", only technology can
progress say in the sense that the desktop computer of today is
objectively better at performing some task than the one of 20 years ago.

Human societies are technological now so it's easy to get the two
confused, but while notions of "technological progress" are not
pseudo-scientific notions of "human progress" definitely are.

Site Timeline