M$ Vista

******* copy ****** From: mcoffey To: undisclosed-recipients@null, null@null Subject: If you buy a new computer, expect significant reliability issues for the next few years. Date: Jul 27, 2007 1:33 PM

Hi everyone, I'm copying several people on this message. When buying a new computer, you will be forced to the new unstable version of Windows, Vista and additionally you will likely buy a lead free computer the could also have reliability issues.

So, it's a double whammy, both hardware and software reliability could be significantly worse.

Below is the story of a technical person who tested Vista for 30 days in April 2007. This person gave Vista a fair shot, installing a new copy and using it for 30 days as his work computer. He tested two different computers that run XP and Linux reliably.

To summarize: "In summary, for a generally clean Windows installation, there were a profane amount of quirks and instabilities that caused us to lose data on more than one occasion."

"Stability: I'm just going to cut to the chase: On both Pugetina and Whakataruna, the computer would suddenly, and without warning, reboot. This was not to say that the computer crashed with something like a blue screen of death (BSOD) - the computer went into shutdown mode without being prompted or giving me a chance to save the data that I was working on. As a result, I lost some of my work.

That is essentially the definition of unstable, and as this was tested on two separate machines with the same result, I'm fairly sure that it's not my hardware (which works perfectly in Windows XP and Linux, by the way).

Every so often, inexplicably, processor utilization will ramp up to

100%...with no applications open. I had to reboot to restore the system back to a true idle state. "

"Throughout the 30 days, different third-party applications would often not install, install but crash with errors at startup, crash when using a specific feature, or simply crash randomly. I had one or more of these issues with the following applications: Gaim, Avi2Dvd, Second Life, Darwinia, Quake 4, Prey, and others."

"Backwards compatibility is very poor, and it's a crapshoot whether the third-party utility you rely on will work. "

From the above, a fresh install of Vista performs worse than a badly infected version of XP

Remember, this is a "clean and fresh install". Vista will only get worse as it's attacked by viruses and faulty programs.

In short, Vista could be becoming stable in 2 to 3 years time. Your choice will be to buy a Vista machine (Microsoft is forbidding machines to be shipped with XP) and reinstall XP or Linux. Reinstalling XP could likely be challenging, it might be best to deal with someone who has installed Vista "on the same identical computer" for at least 10 machines and is a clever knowledgeable computer software mechanic. It will also cost you an additional $200 for XP Home, plus the cost of installation.

Additional note: Most new computers are lead free. According to top experts, lead free has lots of problems so I suggest that you buy the longest and best warranty you can get, at least 3 years and make sure you cover all reasons including dropping. Microsoft has a 1 billion dollar repair bill for it's Xbox very likely due to lead free solder. "now Microsoft cannot deny that fact due to Xbox 360s failing at an average rate of around thirty to thirty-three percent of all consoles sold."

Even better, hold of buying a new computer until the dust settles on all these problems, say 2009 or 2010.

Mike

Reply to
Robert Baer

Major bullshit.

Reply to
Spurious Response

Dell and HP will sell you PCs with XP installed. I suppose lots of other people will, too. I bought a bunch of HP "server" boxes with no OS, and bought a bunch of oem XPs on the web, and we use that combo.

OEM XPs are around $90.

John

[snip]

You have a source for that, John? I'm thinking I should buy several copies.

BTW, I got my ThinkPad with XP already installed.

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | America: Land of the Free, Because of the Brave

I confirm that Vista is indeed slower then XP. Even if you have all bells and whistles switched off, you will loose as much as 35% speed on the dual core processor. This is in the addition to the major issues of software compatibility with Vista.

I am perfectly happy with XP and I don't want to be forced to Vista. Although I am not a fan of Linux by any means, I would consider Linix as the alternative.

Vladimir Vassilevsky DSP and Mixed Signal Consultant

Vladimir Vassilevsky

Smart man. My wife's ThinkPad came with Vista. It's crap. I bought an OEM XP license on eBay for it some time back. Still haven't gotten around to put it on.

--
  Keith
Reply to

DL a VLK version of XP from bittorrent or P2P site and a volume licence key. never needs actiavtion ever :)

BTW, will ubuntu run on a USB drive?

Reply to
The Real Andy

Try ubuntu, that's is about as close as you will get to a usable linux install. They are damn close to MS when it comes to usability.

Reply to
The Real Andy

On a sunny day (Wed, 01 Aug 2007 18:28:25 +1000) it happened The Real Andy wrote in :

Most Linux distros work very well. I would stay clear of RatHead as it caused me many problems with install and incompatibility in the past.

For the other poster: Linux from USB drive works (I have PBF linix on USB stick, but never use it), but better to make a sperate pertition with Linux. If you just want to look at it, use a live CD. Live CD is not usable for anything else, but some live CDs have a utility to install to harddisk. I have tried an used: SLS Slackware + Redhat Suse GRML + Debian +

What to recommend depends on what you want to do. Debian is OK and free (download), Suse is in bed with Microsoft, but it is good and free (download), I am using GRML now, but it is for nerds.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

"contributations"? Not even a word, idiot.

Just because a set-up group is full of idiots that cannot nor should not be doing that task doesn't make the product flawed.

There are also hundreds of thousands of folks that have no problems whatsoever with the product.

Get a clue, you stupid, nay saying twit.

Reply to
Spurious Response

I think the hands down best way to get into Linux, particularly if you only have dialup, is to find one of the Linux CD sites and buy a few and try them all.

You can find them for $2-$5 a copy and only pay for book rate shipping once, for a half dozen of whatever you want to sample (in the US).

I found Linspire (downloaded during one of their free trial offers) to be bad, and Knoppix to be excellent, with Ubuntu running about second - third place.

In any event Linux, is pretty good and will run from a USB drive or live CD without risking anything. A clean full install on a spare computer is the way to go once you zero in on a distro that makes you happy. Best thing about Linux is it will take a slow sluggish older computer and make it seem new again.

MS Google Apple et al seem to trying to steer the industry and tell people what they want.

Newsgroups
default

Using "dosemu" on SuSE-10.2 on a 32 bit X86, all of my DOS programs work and can use the USB serial ports with no problem. "dosemu" unlike "bochs" can share a physical disk with the linux side.

The install of SuSE happened on both my home machine and my work machine without a problem. The only thing I didn't like was that they put too many CD and audio playing programs onto my machine.

For a long time, I could say that neither my home or work machine had any problem running for month on end 24-7. My home machine got crashed by a game I was playing so now I can only say that of my work machine.

Reply to
MooseFET

I wonder how many PC sales are held up by that. For example, at some point I will have to replace the desktop I am writing this on but it has to be cheap, it's only used for Gerber viewing, newsgroups and writing a module spec while doing CAD on the other PC. Yet I do not want to spend my time fussing around installing XP on a machine that maybe doesn't like it because some newfangled part of it doesn't have an XP driver available.

So what do these people do? Hold off buying or maybe wait until the first hardcore video gamers sell their "old" XP machines during yard sales?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Some XP computers are already hitting the scrap pile. I recently got a 3 GHZ Gateway system that the SATA drive died. They removed the 2 GB of RAM before it was donated. :(

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

It could be big business for hospice and goodwill stores. However, most of them refuse to accept such items as donations.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Well, you see - you're not supposed to take him seriously - you take him spuriously. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise, Plainclothes Hippi

You can't really claim that folks with 'nyms such as "Spurious Response" or "Curveball" are hiding anything.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

STOOPID.

Linux is FREE. One can simply DL a CD Image and burn it. D'oh!

The best way to check out Linux is to DL the Knoppix 5.1.1 DVD release, and try it without even installing it. HUGE compendium of apps included.

Completely ridiculous to pay for something which is VERY easy to obtain freely.

Linspire is the epitome of BAD Linux distros.

No! Really?

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

Utter bullshit.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

Idiot.

Yeah, well at about two days download per distro at dialup speed . . . the people making inexpensive CD's available are providing a service I'm willing to pay for.

Knoppix rocks (he says, agreeing with an idiot - proving another point I'm fond of)

Very easy to tie up my connection for a few weeks doing this one thing. Nope, won't happen. There is too much free music out there too.

Newsgroups
default