LT Spice thumbnail

If I single-click on an .asc file in Windows Explorer, I see the schematic thumbnail at the bottom of the window. How does that work?

It works for symbols too, .asy files.

Does Windows invoke LT Spice to make the thumbnail images?

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

There's a Windows Thumbnail Cache since way back in the day that stores generated file thumbnails for many document types.

The Microsoft .NET framework which is roughly speaking the API used to develop Windows GUI software has lots of features/extensions, one is the Shell API which lets the software developer allow their software to do many things the shell can do including extend the thumbnail cache to store new types of thumbnails generated by the document's associated program

Reply to
bitrex

I don't believe the actual LTSpice binary is ever invoked to do it the API just offloads a set of instructions on how to generate thumbnails to the Windows thumbnail cache manager during program installation. Windows GUI stuff is not my software-jam so that's my best guess

Reply to
bitrex

Sounds like you've created an association between .asy and .asc files and LTSpice. Not a problem, is it? After all, .asc files are pretty much obsolete from the WP POV anyway. I'd guess LTS is the only app on your system that still uses them.

Cursitor Doom

In Windows an application can register as a previewer for recognized types, see:

In my system Windows calls C:\Program Files\LTC\LTspiceXVII\ASCx64.dll to get the thumbnail of ASC files.

--
Saludos
Reply to

.asc yes, but I've never deliberately associated .asy files.

Not a problem, is it? After all, .asc files are pretty much

Yes, and I can always drag any file onto the Crimson Editor icon if I want to see it. I was just impressed that Windows makes little schematic icons (and accurate, up-to-date ones, not static pics) from my various .asc files, even ones with included libraries and special symbols.

Maybe Spice leaves an icon behind, for every circuit, when it's run. It can't be created in real time as I prowl around in an Explorer window.

Anyway, it's cool.

lunatic fringe electronics

Oh, then it does create the icons in real time, as I prowl around in the Explorer window. It's sure fast, much faster than starting up Spice.

lunatic fringe electronics

Sounds it! As a Linux user I'm denied such delights, though.

Cursitor Doom

Even cooler is if you turn on the preview pane, it shows the schematic.

Martin Riddle

Not really, depending on your distribution.

Reply to
bitrex