LT Spice note

cds.linear.com/docs/en/lt-journal/LTJournal-V24N4-01-df-SPICEDifferentiation-MikeEngelhardt.pdf

Funny, just last week or so I noted that gear integration produced a totally un-natural decay of an LC ringing oscillation. Mike says to always used modified trap.

Even modified trap needs a little help with high-Q circuits, specifically manually setting the time step.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Some things are better done on the bench. Besides High-Q this also goes for tough PID loops around converters. I have one of those cases on my bench right now, the proto boards just came in. Got to be careful, lots of power and generates high voltage. Wish me luck. When you hear a muffled boom from the east you know why.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

... and just burned a finger tip on a ferrite core. LTSpice didn't predict that either.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Spice helps me think about causalities and what might work. I don't have a lab at home (don't want one!) so when I get an idea at 2AM, I can Spice it to see how goofy it is.

My coaxial ceramic resonator colpitts oscillator does un-natural things with Spice, unless I force the time step way, way down and wait out the sims. But it's still educational. Of course we'll breadboard it later. I might possibly blow out a BFT25, but that won't be very dramatic.

Good luck with your boomer. Be careful.