Low-voltage shunt references

There are normally-closed SSRs that have depletion fets inside, but they could fry form too much power.

Ixys is making self-protecting SSRs that can be used as both switches and current limiters.

I recently designed a 32-channel VME SSR board. We measure the voltage drop across the switching mosfets plus a small padder resistor, and run some FPGA code to protect the switches. The diffamp is the interesting part.

lunatic fringe electronics

Thanks Phil, I had to go look up 'my' specs on a laser drive. (Copied from Jan Hall years ago.) I quoted

Reply to
George Herold

Answer to ligo noise

GH

Reply to
George Herold

which doesn't quite do what you want, but it's interesting.

I am at both ends of the spectrum. Some projects require top performance regardless of cost. Some are low-qty and NRE matters much more than BOM cost. With others every penny is turned around and the cost calculation has four digits or more after the decimal. Milli-Cents. See-sawing between projects with pricey LTC parts and projects where a LM324 already costs too much is fun.

Once I was ridiculed here when mentioning that I occasionally use 5%,

10% and 20% resistors. On one such project the client asked me to provide a list of max tolerance relaxation for all resistors. This effort cost 1/4 billed hour and the client had that fully amortized in less than three months.
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

In saturation, yes.

I like to do this, when I'm feeling discrete, and short on voltage:

Obviously, it will have R1 + Rds(on) resistance in saturation (that's voltage saturation, not FET current saturation, to be perfectly pedantic).

Don't know if that's competitive to your 7 cent LM339, or whatever it was.

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Tim Williams

Just general principles. Schottky rectifiers aren't known for low reverse leakage, and the metal shape definition presumably involves a wet etching process.

There are references in LL101 Schottky diode data to 'guard ring', a technique to limit surface fields which transport dirt. I suspect contamination in diode leakage, as a matter of course (and there's some VERY nice low-leakage specs on JFET gates to bolster my preference for subsurface junctions). The same culprit would move a reference by a few millivolts.

Reply to
whit3rd

nt

nding

nient

rent

" uC

And

xxx

hat

on

im

If you confined the switched currents to within a very small footprint abov e ground plane you may be able to get away with one.

My 1996 millidegree controller - which used a switcher to control the curre nt through the Peltier - ended up being turned into a laser diode temperatu re controller. One of my co-authors - Paul Buggs - did it, and I'm still in contact with him (after a fashion) and could ask what he actually did.

He was the guy who briefly reinstated the development prototypes linear Pel tier feed to establish that switching driver wasn't injecting any noise int o the original temperature controller.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

everse leakage,

There aren't a lot of wet etches done in IC processes anymore--RIE is essen tially universal. There are still reasons to prefer buried structures, most ly having to to do with surface states, and I have no data about the stabil ity of V_f in Schottky barriers.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
pcdhobbs

The CPUs and display are worth more than that.

Reply to
krw

Den torsdag den 7. december 2017 kl. 02.27.25 UTC+1 skrev snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com:

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

"Worth" ?? ...Jim Thompson

     It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

worth noun Definition of worth

1 a : monetary value - farmhouse and lands of little worth
Reply to
krw

"Worth" is in the eye of the delusional consumer. Value is in the eyes of the bean counters. ...Jim Thompson

     It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

Wrong.

Worth is in the eye of both the seller and buyer. Since we're talking about BOM cost, the consumer has nothing to do with it. Cost and price are only loosely correlated (only in that price is usually greater than cost). "Value" and "worth" are exactly the same thing. In this case, quite obviously the components are worth what they cost (because the transaction happened).

Reply to
krw

Thanks.

The offset of the discrete diff pair will likely be a problem in this case, though--I'm trying to keep the burden down to 250 mV or less, with accuracy of a couple of percent, so +-5 mV is about what I can tolerate.

The MC33078/9 is pretty hard to beat for this sort of job--it's 20 times as fast as the LM324/358 and almost as cheap, at the price of more bias current (300 nA-ish).

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
https://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Easy, just get one of those matched--oh... Easy, just do it monolithic, you need 10k+ of these right?... :^)

That doesn't go to the rails, though..?!

324 won't go to +V rail either; do you have further-out rails available to run the opamp from?

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Tim Williams

I have +12 and +5. The previous version was all +12, but this one has to be shrunk down a lot, so thermal management is an issue.

I need +12 for the laser driver because I want it to be sub-Poissonian (i.e. have less than full shot noise) out to 125 mA. That requires a lot of voltage drop across the sense resistor.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
pcdhobbs

5V is nice for TEC's. I tend to pick them undersized, with big heat sinks, so that it's hard to melt them when run full bore as heaters. I guess that limits the minimum temp. I'll then add thermal limits to the drive circuit.

Hmm, I've got a laser diode drive with a 60 C limit. (that's the max temp on the LD spec sheet, I run it under the max current so should be able to raise the temp. That would let me pull more lasers to 795nm. (Lasers typically run at 780 nm, the other half of rubidium's 'doublet'. Tuning laserheads at >60C calls for 'cooks' fingers, hot stuff :^)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Even "consultants" that say "pay me 2 bitcoin and I will restore your data"?

Jasen Betts