Low-loss 50 Ohm coaxial cables + connectors for them?

Hello, Can someone please explain me how the coaxial cables work? I'm looking for low loss BNC and SMA cables - 50 Ohm. Low loss is a requirement, and as long as the price is not $1/ft for 500ft, any reasonable price is ok. Most of my applications are

Reply to
Vitaliy

"Vitaliy" Hello,

** Mr wiki will do that for you:

** What is the application ?
** What is the application ?

** Low loss co-ax does not grow on trees.

** Hmmm - looks like it IS data and the OP = a "cable guy".
** QED.

........ Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

RG58AU is a type of coaxial cable. BNC is a type of connector. Distributors that describe a BNC coax cable are talking about a cable that is terminated with one or more BNC connectors.

Many BNC connector manufacturers have versions of their connectors for crimping, soldering, or just screwing them onto the prepared RG58 cable.

Yes, but it has a larger diameter than RG58 and is more rigid. I recommend using crimp connectors to terminate RG213 coax because soldering the terminal pin is a bugger without melting the dielectric slightly. And it takes practice.

Yes if connectors are available, and its probably a good deal more expensive too. And 10mm diameter as opposed to about 6.5mm to 7mm for RG58 (I think) But with the extra copper shield the ECOFLEX 10 will be somewhat more rigid than the RG58.

What is "average speed" and "high speed"? The simple answer is to ask the cable manufacturer/distributor which connector is suitable for the cable for your application. They should have a list of preferred connector manufacturers and any suitable connectors.

Reply to
dmm

Right now we are using RG58, so it's about 16dB for 100m, slashing that by 8 dB would be good. The frequencies are anywhere between 5MHz and 500MHz. I'm looking at somewhere ~$400 for 500ft. Distances - 1 to 3 meters (maybe 1 or 2 10m ones). I will be transmitting data and RF. I don't see the need for tight corners at this point, but it would be "nice to have" option. No requirement for low smoking/free of halides, but would be "nice-to-have".

Therefore, if, for example, I buy Belden cable, I can just buy BNC, SMB or SMA connectors for that particular cable?

I was also thinking about buying crimp connectors, smothing like this

or from here

too.

Reply to
Vitaliy

Reply to
<aalaan

"Vitaliy"

** Why ?

** With such short runs you have no issue with cable loss at all.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Because with the biomedical equipment we are testing - we prefer to have the minimal loss possible. And another reason I'm looking into this because we have some RG58, RG58AU, RG174, RG59 (75Ohm, which we don't need/can't use, but people still try to use), so I would like to keep everything to one type only, if possible, to avoid confusion. And since I'm getting this one type only, I would like to have the best one possible.

That's the idea I was coming to after reading on the subject... But, would I be able to use RG213 for both RF and data? Most of my signals are data. RF signal I currently have is 10Vp-p (0 to 80MHz), it could be greater voltage/frequency in the future.

Thanks, Vitaliy

Reply to
Vitaliy

If the equipment is rack-mounted, and the cables are permanently attached, and ty-wrapped in place to prevent undue strain on the BNC connectors, RG-213 or other large cable may be usable.

However, if the cables will be frequently connected and disconnected, re-routed, tripped over, etc, I'd stick with RG58 (or some variation thereof). RG-213 and other 0.4" cables are just too stiff for portable patch cord use.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca

9914 "flex" is about the best "heavy" coax you might consider most 9913 is hollow and will collapse under more than minimal motion ,

9914 is a full foam dialectic which handles motion very well.

In a thinner material perhaps a slightly thinner rg6 quadsheild in a fuly spec cable or thinner yet possibly one of the airframe designations from Gore

A call to matchmaster (02 9153 6666) would be in order for some salient advice

Good luck

Reply to
atec77

RG6 is 75 ohms. There is some nice low loss teflon 50 ohm coax on the market, BTW.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida