Looking, QST construction article about measuring noise of a resistor

Hi all, I'm looking for a QST construction article about a circuit designed for measuring the noise generated by resistors. I recall the design used a paint can as the enclosure. My interest is in the low noise amp design.

Mike

Reply to
amdx

All resistors of a given value generate the same Johnson noise voltage, so there's no practical reason to measure that.

Practical value metal film resistors have almost no shot (Poisson) noise. I have measured excess noise in Gohm range cermet resistors, but it was difficult. I used a Danish butter-cookie can.

lunatic fringe electronics

Not so bad if you use the correlation method, which gets rid of the voltage noise of the measuring gizmo. (It doesn't help the current noise of course.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

amdx wrote in news:q5116v$jh5$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Close! Not QST, but...

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

John Larkin wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

The old, bulk carbon media resistors were the most noisy.

They quell HV arcs without damage real good though.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

ned

d a

Mike

Not exactly what you are looking for but Heathkit's Audio Signal tracer kit had a Noisy Resistor test feature. It put a voltage across the resistor in parallel with the audio probe and you could easily find the noisier resistors. Not calibrated at all, other then your ear.

You could use that concept for testing resistors with an op amp for amplifying the noise using a capacitor for dc isolation if you can't find the article.

John :-#)#

Reply to
John Robertson

It's not all that hard if you are OK with ~audio frequencies, opamps and largish (10 k ohm) resistors.

You do need a lot of gain.

Some sort of shielding will most likely be needed.

I've seen designs will all sorts of involved grounding schemes. But it works fine if you just nail one end of the resistor to the inside 'ground' of your cookie tin.

I can talk more if you are interested.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

It generates the same noise power not noise voltage.

Reply to
bulegoge

It's a resistor. Power is V**2/R. And noise is random, so it's only the power spectrum and amplitude statistics that we care about (or that are well-defined).

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

The MIT experiment uses an SRS preamp, the SR560, to measure resistor noise. In AoE III's low-noise chapter, 122-pages, four pages (512-515) discuss in detail the SR560's design principles. We show how to make even more quiet amplifiers.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

You should read the 122 page chapter in AoE III, all about noise and low-noise amplifiers. It's easy to make amplifiers be far more quiet than resistors.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

If it generates the same power, won't it generate the same voltage?

Resistors of the same value generate the same Johnson noise voltage density. Stray capacitance can round off the high frequency part.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

You can do pretty well with just opamps these days. On the practical front, we used FET opamps with 'no' (or negligible) current noise. This makes it easy to separate the opamp noise from the resistor noise, by just changing the input resistor.

(But your low noise chapter is great.. and well worth my re-reading.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

A 10K resistor makes a lot more noise than a good jfet opamp.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Am 25.02.19 um 20:51 schrieb John Larkin:

It is not so much more. Good FET opamps run out of steam at 5.x nVrt Hz That is abt. 1K5.

When there was a dual op amp in SO-8 that does 1nV/rtHz I had one less problem.

cheers, Gerhard

Reply to
Gerhard Hoffmann

Right, it looks better if you plot noise density (V^2/Hz) Say as long as the noise 'experts' are here. How do you disentangle voltage noise and current noise in a bjt amp? I guess I'm asking how you measure the current noise?

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

I'll do that, I need to pull your book of the shelf more often.

My curiosity started when I watched a video of a guy using an LM386 as a amp for a parabolic reflector and a microphone. I tried to tell him his circuit was noisy and he could do better with a quiet front end. He argued it was very quiet. I gave him a search with 100 links to how noisy the LM386 is, he didn't budge on his it's very quiet. Hard to tell from his video, but it's seems like his electronics are noisy to me. >

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Haha, using a speaker amplifier as a low-noise preamp! But I suppose if you have a parabolic reflector to concentrate the noise, sorry, the signal, it might be more noisy than the amplifier.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Short the input to see the voltage noise.

Then use resistors to see the current noise, corrected for Johnson noise.

Maybe you could connect two opamp inputs together to a resistor or a cap. Voltage noises wouldn't correlate, current noise would. Maybe that's what Phil was talking about.

That's a useful concept: use identical gadgets to measure themselves.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

** What about the electronics INSIDE the electret microphone ??

Likely to generate more noise then the LM386 input stage does.

FYI:

Low noise microphones typically have large diaphragms and are true condenser types - not some cheap electret capsule.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison