Looking for an 8-bit SIPO Shift Register that is tolerant of 12V+

I am looking for an 8-bit Serial-In, Parallel-Out shift register that is tolerant of more than 12V for an automotive application. The functional equivalent of a 74164 would be ideal. The CD4015 comes close, but I would like a part with an active-low reset. Does such a part exist and is it readily available?

Thanks.

Reply to
RosemontCrest

74C164 (Fairchild), if you can find them.

Or you could just use the HC164 and a regulator, etc. Messier of course, but easier than sourcing hen's teeth.

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

I poked around a little for the 74C164. Scarce. A 4015 and two parts to invert the reset seems easiest.

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

That one does not have a reset but you can design a reset around it.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

And a load-dump spike then kills it ?:-)

You don't run circuits directly on automotive "+12V", you regulate and surge protect. ...Jim Thompson

[On the Road, in New York]

How about this one..

it has a clear all like he wants and the outputs will sink up to a

50 volts.

The only problem is the supply, but I think that can be handled with a basic onboard post regulator..

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

is

ts

rge

Naturally. The OP asked for +12v tolerance, not -70V! That part's up to him.

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

I still generally wouldn't use a 12V part. Cold crank can give you 6-8V, in Michigan 4V ;-) If you need circuits to run during crank, like your ignition, you have to be clever ;-)

I'm playing professor over an automotive transmission controller design right now... 3.3V supply... 1.8V logic. ...Jim Thompson

[On the Road, in New York]

rts

th a

That's cool, or the 'HC595 or the TPIC6b595, but they're all 5v devices.

He almost might as well use an 'HC164--he's going to need load-dump stuff anyhow, as Jim pointed out. The load-dump protection could just as easily regulate too.

It all depends on the application.

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Thanks Jim, and everyone else. Because this circuit must occupy a small space, I was trying to minimize the number of parts, including a regulator and other "glue" to invert logic. I have already included in the design suppression of power supply transients, but I just wanted to minimize the number of necessary parts.

Thanks again to everyone for their input.

Reply to
RosemontCrest

Thanks. The application is a lighting circuit for turn signals.

Reply to
RosemontCrest

On a sunny day (Sat, 20 Aug 2011 17:39:02 -0700 (PDT)) it happened snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in :

Personally I would use a PIC.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Sure. Eg. PIC16F610, or even a PIC16HV610 which includes a built-in 5V shunt regulator.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Anonymous

TI has many. Look for TPIC6x595 (x=A, B or C).

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Is there a version of PIC that could be programmed "in-circuit," as it were, where you don't need to plunk down a hundred bucks for a development system, but just energize the chip and send it a data stream, rather than heroics like special programming voltages and stuff?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Generate the light locally as well, and pipe fiber 'light pipes' to the signaling areas. Instead of switching power, you are then switching banks of lighting arrays on a local board. The brightness should still exceed that of the old incandescents.

At that point,one could even generate full color imagery in the end "display device".

This is how IBM made the first high resolution OLED display (production level). The OLEDs were on chips, and each pixel of the display was lit via individual 100% addressed fiber. Eleven million of them, in fact. Far different from the "OLED" display technology we are currently seeing.

Anyway... ten years from now, they will do what I have said here on the car tail lights, etc.

I'll take 5% of net as payment for the idea.

Reply to
TheGlimmerMan

Yes, you will need to spend $44.95 :

The hardware interface are 5-pins: Reset - RESET of chip

+5V Gnd PGC - program clock PGD - program data

The main software package is MPLAB, and its FREE :

I would suggest an archive version v8.73a :

The software comes with the assembler for all of the PIC processors. A C compiler will cost a few more bucks. There are lots to chose from, some are even free:

Bottom line is, get started and you will find out how easy it is. Then you will better understand when someone says "use a PIC".

hamilton

Reply to
hamilton

Or this older one for $34.99

They plug into the USB port and don't require any other supply.

There's free versions for all PICs, I think, which are unlimited but produce more bloated code (less optimization).. so you might have to buy a bigger chip (usually a dime or two more to double the memory, so no big deal until you're using hundreds or thousands).

You can get similar products for ARM micros (32-bit) but the learning curve is a bit steeper and there are no breadboard-friendly DIP packages available, so you're into "heroics" (or making a PCB) to get wires to the thing.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Few programmable components require special programming voltages, anymore. One I'm using now can't be programmed with the VCC less than 4V (it operates from

3.3V to 5V) and another requires an external 4.7uF cap to program in-situ, and some require an enable pin but most take no special treatment at all. The days of "programming voltages" are pretty much gone.

As far as the cost of the "development system", they're often free from the disties. They're always trying to push ARM stuff on me. ;-)

Reply to
krw