Looking for a replacement for NXP/Philips TDA7052A/AT NXP 1W audio amp going obsolete...

This part, an 8 pin bridgable 1W audio amplifier with volume control input is going obsolete and last order date is end of this year.

When I designed it in around 10 years ago they were old then but plenty available. We will eventually need to design in a replacement.

We are running these at around 9V VCC and they work great into a small speaker. 8 Ohms I believe.

We also use the volume control input... +40 dB gain down to -60 or 80 dB gain. Doesn't require that much gain necessarily.

There is the old National/TI LM386-4 that I just now heard is going obsolete ! Dang. It looked like it was going to work.

Could go discreet with op-amp and SOT-23s but still wouldn't have the volume/gain control pin without adding a Jfet or something and would take up valuable space on one of the existing products.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks, boB K7IQ

1 W BTL mono audio amplifier with DC volume control TDA7052A/AT
Reply to
boB

I had the same problem.... switched to the SOIC8 version . You can just about solder across the dil pads as an interim solution. I guess I'll be looking for a solution too. Maybe I'll have to bulk buy. :(

TTman

Thanks TT... We are going to have to do a bulk buy as well. End of 2016 is it. There are quite a few at distrubuters and I think we have almost

10,000 now but will need to substitute something. They were the perfect parts and cheap... 32 cents each. I was ready to design in the LM386-4 which has a gain control but NOW they're life is going to be short lived as well.

There's gotta be some asian part I would think ? TV sets and all that. Might all be Class D. Actually I found a Class D chip but no volume/gain control. Would have to add at least that J-FET to the circuit which isn't the end of the world BUT it takes up space.

Will stay tuned. boB

Reply to
boB

How about something like:

They're expensive but something like this shouldn't be too difficult to make.

Reply to
krw

I did something similar in the 1980s to replace a Valley People VCA with a THAT Corp. VCA when the VP became obsolete.

Something like this did cross my mind for a second though. Too large and not the best for production. I will tack on another part to test though. It ~may~ actually be (hopefully) that the LM386-4 (the 1 watt part) isn't going away... That is what I had heard though through the grapevine and the internet which is always true of course. Nothing official actually so there is a ray of hope, maybe. boB

Reply to
boB

One would think that components like the LM386 would never go away... The are the basic building blocks of simple electronic devices, like the 555.

Reply to
Rob

Well a life time buy is what we would do. $0.32 is pretty cheap. There is the TCA0372 it's a dual opamp.. if that would work... you've probably already thought about it.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

TI do a part that's good to go class D, but Vcc is 5.2V max :( I'd have to put in another 5V reg as our TDA runs off a 2 cell lipo

TTman

I think it's all class-d audio amp chips now.

They win because they are smaller.

Jasen Betts

+1, they are used so widely, they're the go-to rock bottom audio amp chip. I don't see it making business sense to stop production. Only use it if you want crappy sound.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Luckily this 1W amplifier is only used for voice and a small speaker. A couple percent THD won't harm anything. Might even help to sound "louder" ?

boB

Reply to
boB

David Eather