Looking for a DC power panel mounted jack with a cap

Hello,

I working on a portable equipment that is going to be used in a dust environment. The batteries of the equipment will be charged through a DC panel mounted jack. I need a DC power jack with a rubber or plastic cap that is attached permanently. Is there someone who can tell me about part number or a manufacturer of off the shelf jack.

Thanks and best regards

Kireto

Reply to
kireto

Probably

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Looks like you are in Canada.

Digikey appear to carry a few parts that might suit you such as these small connectors from Hirose

Bob

I am not aware of any standard products that fit that application. i.e. power port dust protection on a handheld device My initial thoughts were all either pretty expensive, or ugly (in every sense), or require some other cradle or docking station approach.

Is your application for an explosive dust environment? Do you need true IP5x or IP6x type protection, or do you just want to keep the occasional crap out of the jack? If the latter, you might find someone who has (or will mold for you) plugs to fit standard type power jacks, like the 3.5mm styles, etc...

I can't give you any names, but Google the AMCON Show listing of exhibitors. The vendors at these sort of shows seem to me to be exactly the place you want to start looking. Another option might be researching medical device solutions. (worry about germs and contamination, etc..) Might be worth exploring that avenue?

I've never seen a solution like the one you're looking for: Either on a device I've used, or in any of the usual suspect's catalogs. But then, I don't usually design for dust environments and/or work in them. Good luck. -mpm

Reply to
mpm

These type of circular connectors have dust caps on a chain:

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

Dear all,

Thanks to all contributors in this topic. I think Hirose product is the nearest off-the-shelf solution. Farnell.com is a good one as well. I need to make a mold for the rubber part and then add the jack somehow.

All the best

Kireto

Reply to
kireto

Reply to mpm

The application is for an explosive and dusty environment. The IP rating of all components should be at least IP 54( IEC standard). Thanks for the hint about AMCON show. I am going to visit that site and hopefully I will find something.

All the best

Kireto

Reply to
kireto

Current/voltage required?

If its really low, you might want to consider inductive coupling. That's the best way to keep units sealed, IMO.

Otherwise, some sort of flush-mounted contacts might be better than a recessed jack. There's no cavity for crud to collect in and a charging base or connector can have contacts arranged to provide good wiping action when the unit is inserted. Battery packs for cordless tools work like this and they are used in dusty, dirty environments.

--
Paul Hovnanian	paul@hovnanian.com
Have gnu, will travel.