logic simulator recommendations

Hi, I'm taking a digital logic class and I'd like to use a logic simulator to visualize circuit states (clocks, flip-flop outputs, register, etc). Can anyone recommend a good (preferably free) simulator for this purpose?

Thanks.

--
Mike
Reply to

Hi!

SIMetrix has a general purpose simulator for analog as well as digital circuits. The demo will work for your needs though the circuit size is limited.

Download @

WebMaster

I get a 403 http error. Is there another place where I can download it?

--
Mike
Reply to

n/m...

works.

Thanks.

--
Mike
Reply to

Go to

and download the Quartus web edition. It is free (but you will have to register).

You can enter your logic via schematic, compile for a selected device and then do a full waveform simulation.

If you are serious about logic design for the future it would really be worth your while coming to grips with this free software as it simulates for the real world.

If you want a quick solution then this may be too complicated for you, but please have a look.

Slurp

Reply to
Slurp

I use Digital Works to test my CPU designs. It used to be sold by mecanique

but they no longer sell it nor make it available for download. There is still a copy of version 3.04 at:

But I don't use this version. Instead I use the freeware version (2.0) available at:

As far as I can tell the only real difference between version 2.0 and version 3.0 is that version 3.0 is no longer freeware. Also, files created in version 3.0 are not compatible with version 2.0.

What I like about Digital Works is that the RAM/ROM object has a built in, easy to use hex editor. Otherwise, if I don't need to use RAM or ROM I prefer Logisim:

which is even nicer for complex designs because it supports busses. But its RAM/ROM interface sucks.

Reply to
slebetman

I use pads of 4-to-the-inch blue-lined paper and a roller-ball pen. OK, sometimes on tricky designs I start with pencil.

John

Hi Mike,

I'm truly sorry for that. Yes, that link you gave is correct.

Reply to
WebMaster

WebMaster wrote WITHOUT CONTEXT (per usual for him):

If you're not going to use a newsreader to access Usenet, it's important to realize that most folks DO.

't-click-the-reply-link-that-is-in-plain-sight+To-get-context-the-easy-way+on-Google+zzz+show-options*-*-*-snip-*-*-*-*-the-automated-blockquote-*-*-*+click-THAT-Reply-link

More good ideas here:

JeffM