LM566 alternative.

I have benn trying to find a decent alternative to the LM566 VCO. It does not seem to be sold anymore at reputable sellers and the ones on EBay (from China) I don't trust to be authentic or unrecycled. Does anyone know of a 8 to 16 pin alternative (just square and triangle out) that won't break the bank. Thanks

-Slackmeister

Reply to
Kevin Glover

What is your frequency range? ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

Purely audio band. For audio synth modules.

Reply to
Kevin Glover

Looks like the EXAR XR2206 is still available (at Jameco)...

Of course you can make a quite respectable VCO with a 555 Timer and some transistors.

This book...

might be helpful to you. ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

If you are in the US/Canada and only need a few (10-100) I've got a few tubes of ICL8038's. Which I think is the same as the Exar part JT linked to.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

I'm experimenting with a VCO cluster(aka Cloud) and need a number of basic VCOs. If you're willing to part with a few, I'm interested. I found some on Amazon but many are from China and one doesn't know if they are new or reclaimed. If yours are new in the tube then I'd be interested. I'm in California. E-Mail me if you wouldn't mind selling a few. Thanks

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Glover

Have you searched for PLLs and only use the VCO part of it ? Unfortunately, the low pin count devices usually have internal connection between the phase detector and VCO, but try to find one without such internal connection.

Reply to
upsidedown

+1

The VCO of the CD4046 might be a good candidate. It's reasonably linear, though its output is a square wave whose duty cycle isn't that we'll controlled.

cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

According to the old (1974) Signetics application note, the NE566 VCO is NE565 PLL with th phase detector disabled. The application note also shows how to control the NE565 VCO by injecting the control _current_ into pin 8, effectively bypassing the PD.

Reply to
upsidedown

Yeah and the 74HC4046 is less good.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

For values of "less good" that are roughly speaking, awful. Very hard to get better than 10:1 ratios, vs 1000:1 with HC4046.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

I like the roll-your-own one with a single BJT or MOSFET and 1/2 an LM324. Triangle out from the integrator and square wave output from the comparator. You can shape the triangle wave into a facsimile of a sine wave but that gets more complex or requires trimming.

---sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

I have some experience of the 74HC4046 and it's one device where there is an enormous spread in VCO characteristics amongst manufacturers. In the end I tested a few and settled on what is now NXP.

YMMV

--
Mike Perkins
Video Solutions Ltd

Kevin Glover schrieb:

You might have a look at the LM331 also.

Tilmann

Reply to
Tilmann Reh

I think I have one or two tubes of Teledyne 9400CJ which are probably equivalent to the Microchip part TC9400. It is a 14 pin IC and good from DC to 100 kHz.

I found this datasheet for the LM566 as parts inventory at msu.edu:

The TC9400:

It's available from Mouser for about $9:

I also might have some Analog Devices AD537, also from Mouser for $67 each (gold plated)!

You might also look at LM331:

and KA331 (Only about $0.50 at Mouser)

email: paul at pstech-inc dot com

Paul

Reply to
P E Schoen

That's sort of the way I'd do it... except I'd use a package of LM339's and make good triangles, and linear frequency versus voltage, with current mirror control.

You can simply add current mirrors to a 555 and attain the same thing more simply... but it's forbidden to even mention a 555 Timer on this newsgroup >:-} ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

That's complete BS. ;)

Reply to
JW

I have just seen your message. just thinking. Would it not be possible to use a LM565 's VCO. Would have to design a small board to fit the LM566 socket. If you could find them? also discontinued.

Reply to
Paul Badenhorst

I see i have two unused NE566E's.

Reply to
Paul Badenhorst

Now all you need is a time machine to transport them back to 2016.

RL

Reply to
legg