LM2956 Buck converter help

Pardon my not knowing but I still live in an LM317 world.

On a buck converter like this --

It has an adjustable multi turn pot for the output (which is a plus) and I want to set it to a steady 5v.

The goal is to give it 12 volts input but wondering if a slight fluctuation in input voltage affects the output on these. As in all 12 volt wall warts not being created equal. -- thanks much

Reply to
mkr5000

** The LM2596 buck converter has good output voltage stability under varying input and load conditions. Not quite as good as a linear reg like the LM317, but within 1% or so.

The module you have linked will have some AC ripple on the DC output at 150kHz, maybe a few per cent.

What worries me is the use of an 220uF SMD electro as the output filter cap, typically these caps have poor ESR figures and low ripple current ratings.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Thanks a lot Phil. What would you replace that cap with? Just a nice robust axial type? Teach me.

Reply to
mkr5000

** Need to know the load current first.

** Maybe, see above.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

The performance could be about the same as a through-hole of the same size. But who knows! If that's an issue:

 Thanks,
    - Win
Reply to
Winfield Hill

they make ceramic caps in this range these days m

Reply to
makolber