Little weird things happened last two days... (shutdown hang, and cpu fan failure and resume ?!?)

Hello,

Yesterday or so Windows X64 hang while trying to shutdown.

Today there was a short cpu fan failure...

Unfortunately I wasn't paying attention during boot (most of the time I do pay attention).

So I saw it after a few seconds.... and then it said to press F1 resume...

I looked at the cpu fan to see if everything was ok... and it was spinning.

So everything seemed ok.

So I pressed F1 resume and here I am writing this message and wondering what happened...

Yesterday I also cleaned the dust filters near the front and near the side of the case (antec 1200) (I did it very carefully).

My question is:

Does the Scythe Zipang Super CPU Cooler have some special electronics to detect cpu fan failure and try to re-spindle up ?

Or maybe it's an asus motherboard feature to try and get the cpu fan spinning again ?

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

Do you know it was an actual fan failure ? Like it refused to spin initially ?

Your board is A8N32-SLI Deluxe ? That has a three pin CPU fan header. The BIOS has a QFAN option, which will modify the voltage delivered on +12V. So there is a possible mechanism where the board would deliver less than 12V on the fan header (QFAN could deliver between 7V and 12V perhaps). Normally, the voltage used would be enough to make most fans spin. Occasionally, you'll run into a CPU fan, that cannot work properly with 7V (in which case, disable QFAN).

On my other computer, fan failure and "press F1" happens, if the CPU fan spins below 1800 RPM during startup. More modern motherboards have dropped this threshold (by changing the divider in the hardware monitor), to a lower value like perhaps 500 RPM. But there is still a threshold, and still a possibility of the BIOS complaining about the fan speed.

I looked up your fan, and it has a relatively low speed of 1000 RPM. So it would not take much, for the speed to drop low enough at startup, to give a "Press F1" error. F1 means, you're to enter the BIOS and check the hardware monitor page for problems.

This one has a 140mm 1000RPM full speed fan.

SCZP-1000 has a three pin fan header.

I would disable QFAN, and see if it helps.

Hanging on shutdown, could be a number of things, like malware. I had a problem the other day, where the computer would not enter S3 Suspend To RAM, and it turned out to be a relatively benign piece of Javascript.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Give it up and buy a Mac.

John

spinning.

what

I was building a machine the other day and some wires got caught in the cpu fan... and the mobo immediately shut the system down. Most mobo's that I know of, have built in protection.

If your fan shut down even briefly I don't think I'd take a chance...I'd replace it.

Reply to
philo