Lithium Polymer Charging Cycle

Is ther any type of charging cycle for these cells that does not end up just being CC/CV?

This is not really for any design, just a conversation I am having about LiPo chargers.

Jim

Reply to
James Beck

I'm not really aware of any, most of the manufacturer's app notes just suggest CC/CV or something very close to it. I have not yet seen the re-invented pulse or "burp" charging and it's wonderous benefits, but I'm sure it's coming soon enough !

For a number of years, I have just used a Thurlby LB-15 bench PSU. You just set the CC section to any value up to 2A and the CV section at any value up to 15V. It works perfectly. I'm still a little nervous about leaving them connected for long periods, but it has been done accidentally without any signs of distress.

Barry

Reply to
Barry Lennox

Same thing I have done with SLA batteries, just don't leave the LiPo connected for more than a couple of hours and keep them in a fire resistant container.

Anyway, I made the comment that all the LiPo chargers out there are just CC/CV units just some of them have a few more bells and whistles than others. Like preconditioning, cell count guessing, and so on. I was pretty much called an idiot and a pulsed CC method was mentioned. When I looked it up, the beginning of the cycle is just like any other, but when it came to switching over to CV the unit did a PWM 1C pulse. I contended that since the width of the pulse was determined by the voltage on the cell, it was just a fancy CV cycle, nothing more. Look at the data over time and it looks just like a tapering CV charge.

Jim

Reply to
James Beck

The only thing that I would add to that setup is some provision so that a single component failure (e.g. the power supply pass transistor shorting) cannot cause a fire. The other poster suggested what is my preferred option, put the battery in a fire-proof container. Otherwise some sort of overvoltage protection e.g. resistive divider, TL431 and a relay, might be worth having.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Jones

...The relay NO contacts carrying the charging current, a piece of paper in the magnetic gap to prevent magnetic stiction, and the relay mounted upside down so gravity can pull it open if the spring fails.

Reply to
Robert Baer

I have charged LiPo cells, possibly for 100+ cycles now and never once seen distress, or even mild overheating. They have been left on accidentally, once for maybe 4 hours, the other time closer to 8 hours, in both cases the cell was just sitting there at ambient.

However I'm well aware of some folk having experenced fires, etc, I wonder if their charging setup was not correct. It's hard to go wrong with a bench CC/CV PSU.

The fireproof container might be a good idea, I have an old ammo box that would be perfect. OTOH, I could just as easily make up a 2 metre lead and leave them outside the door.

Hmmmmm.....,, I smell another re-invention of the "Burp" charge, or some variation of it.

Barry

Reply to
Barry Lennox

I have never had any problems with amy of mine either, but I believe that "Floating" the cells isn't recommended, BUT I cn't remember where I read that either.

Yeah, me too. I did find a Maxim part that did that very thing, but you had to provide a CC wall wart in their example. I don't remember seeing many of those laying around.

Jim

Reply to
James Beck

AIUI the limits are the only important bits. if you're charging from an under-powered supply (eg solar) current-limited, voltage-limited will work.

CC/CV is just fastest.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
jasen

And it's (almost) the easist. If you have a bench PSU with independant CC and CV controls, it can't get any easier.----Just: "Dial and Charge"

The next hardest is an incredibly simple design using 2 x LM317. One in a CC config, feeding another in a CV config. I have not made one for my own use, but am aware of a few folk that are very happy with them.

Barry

Reply to
Barry Lennox

about

Why use two? You can add a transistor and a sense resistor to add current limit to a LM317. Been charging a 24V lead acid bank for years at almost 5A that way (with the 5A version of the LM317).

Reply to
Jeff L

snip

Quite right, whatever approach floats your boat. I guess the original person who wrote this up just took the idea from the Nat Semi VR handbook. Although the 317 + transistor limiter is in there too.

Barry

Reply to
Barry Lennox