Lithium Ion Battery and RoHs

Hi,

I am considering using the following battery

Its not RoHs approved. I heard that Europe does not accept electronics devices if they are not RoHs approved.

Does LiIon battery need to be RoHs approved? This battery is UL approved and the company says that they sell this battery in europe.

jess

Reply to
jsscshaw88

I have some European colleagues who say that CE stands for Can't Enforce. But you really should make things ROHS if you want to sell them in the US or Japan.

If it's not ROHS, then it isn't. Maybe it has lead solder joints inside.

Lithiums now need explicit overcharge/short circuit protection, which is a fairly new requirement. Even if a shorted battery does nothing dramatic.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Batteries are covered under a different directive.

I think ELV and WEEE directives take care of the disposal aspect.

Cheer

Reply to
Martin Riddle

ROHS is not enforced, and there are exemptions e.g. Control and Monitoring equipment (yes very useful :))

The real issue is if you are sent a form to fill in by a large customer which actually asks you to state there is no lead and sign it. They are not legally entitled to do that IF you can use the exemption but they are free to do it in a business context e.g. they are free to insist the product contains no copper...

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote

Reply to
Peter