list of high volume production parts

Does anyone have a list of popular parts used for a long time that are considered high volume and commonly available?

General areas of interest are opamps, diodes (power, signal, low leakage, rf, shottky (sp?), etc), npns, pnps, mosfets (small signal, RF and power), and jfets.

I'm looking for parts that would give the lowest change of going obsolete without a second (or 4rth) source.

examples are

2n2222a, 1n4148, 2n2309, 2n7000, 1N400X series, etc.

I'd like to reference a list for when I start a design I pick from high runner parts instead of the exact perfect fit from the mfg website that may go obsolete due to low volume.

Reply to
Mook Johnson

That would be a good group project. Someone (you?) would have to keep the master list. I'd contribute a bunch of parts. Our inventory database lets me easily see how many of a given part we've used, how many assemblies it's used on, and hints at multiple sources.

First item: 330 nF 10v 10% 0603 cap. Universal capacitor. We've used 123,000 so far on 139 BOMs.

We just bought a full-auto pick-and-place machine, and we're now scouring our parts lists to standardize on a number of parts that we can standardize and keep permanently mounted on feeders, like the 330n cap. I'm guessing we'll have 40 or

50 parts like that.
 Click to see the full signature

One such list is kinda in existence: it's the FSN (Federal Stock Number) and maybe also the NSN (NATO ....). Basically, though, that's just a big customer's stocklist. Note, too, the 2N2222A (a metal case transistor) is VERY RARE nowadays, folk are generally steered to the PN2222 plastic-package equivalent.

I'm dubious that your goals can be met. On the bright side, though, most of the big distributors will track your purchases and send you a notice when/if a part is dropped, usually in time for a one-time-buy of enough parts to keep you going for... a while.

Reply to
whit3rd

On Sat, 22 Mar 2014 10:44:40 -0700, John Larkin wrote: [snip]

What model PNP? Always interested in what folks are using or trying to make work.

--
Chisolm
Republic of Texas

It's a Universal. I can ask The Brat for the model number on Monday. I'll take pics when it arrives.

We are buying

An automated optical PCB inspection machine

A new stencil printer

The PNP

An 8-zone reflow oven with nitrogen generator (I wanted vapor phase, but got out-voted)

An aqueous PCB washing machine

All that stuff can be connected inline, hands-off from end to end.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
 Click to see the full signature

an

.

do you really have the volume to justify the hassle of keeping all that stuff running?

instead of just shipping a box of components and PCBs to someone who does nothing else all day all year

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

People here think so. Contract assemblers tend to be spotty on quality and delivery. We can reduce kitting by keeping a lot of feeders loaded with the parts that we commonly use, hence the interest in part standardization. We might save a little on parts cost, too, by buying in higher volumes.

If we spend about $400K on equipment and build 50K boards in 10 years, that's $8 per board equipment cost. That's not significant for the sort of stuff that we sell. We're doing semi-auto now, and that's relatively slow and it's hard on the people. The AOI inspection machine will save a huge amount of labor, too... 45 seconds instead of half an hour to inspect a complex board.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
 Click to see the full signature

When I "just need a PNP", it's usually a MMBT3906 (sometimes a self-biased equivalent sort of thing)..

Reply to
krw

We have one CM that's really good. One of the other guys used them at his PPoE so I tried it for three boards last December. All three were flawless and on-time (it was a rush job for a trade show). They bought everything but the parts that were either difficult to find or under NDA (IOW, everything but samples). We only had ten boards of each part number done but they'd be just as happy with hundreds.

Unfortunately, I have almost all the parts queued up at a different, somewhat less reliable, CM for my next two, or maybe three, boards.

You're not including the cost of the space or people. Yes, I wish we had a prototype line but they gave that up when they shipped production South of the Border.

Reply to
krw

Damn! Nice setup.

--
Chisolm
Republic of Texas

We have space, and I expect to use the people more efficiently, and certainly more comfortably, than semi-auto PNP and manual inspection. People are expensive here in San Francisco; the tradeoff would be different if we were paying minimum wage with no benefits, which a lot of assembly houses do. It shows in their quality.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
 Click to see the full signature

But perhaps not as efficiently as having someone that runs a couple of shifts of people doing this job constantly (with all the backups, and such).

Some, perhaps. Not all CMs are garbage. We found a quite good one and another that is somewhat more problematic but still not useless.

Reply to
krw

CMs, like PCB houses, get business by biddding low, so have a lot of employee turnover. They're seldom garbage, but all seem to screw up now and then, like when somebody important goes on vacation or quits or something.

One nice thing about assembling in-house is that we can get a first article to test the afternoon of the day the bare boards come in. And we can run a batch of 5 or 10 or whatever on short notice.

And my people want the new gear, so they get it!

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
 Click to see the full signature

Some companies seem to compensate for that by locating in areas where jobs are scarce and the folks at the low end are terrified of being laid off, while the supervisors treat them like dirt. Some of the online forums are pretty telling.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

That's a pretty broad brush you're painting with, there. Some do specialize in small/prototype work, so tend to have very high quality and service. No one is going to spend a lot of time saving a few dimes on a prototype but they will dump a vendor for poor work.

A day or two more and you could have a few dozen to smoke, without paying someone to order/kit parts and wait around for everything to arrive.

My PPoE did their own work in-house but it wasn't because it was cheaper (or even better). It wasn't.

Reply to
krw

How else do the upper brass get their boners, I mean bonus?

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

Suggestion: Go look at the parts tables in Art of Electronics, 2nd edition (1989). Any of those that still have bunches of stock at Mouser or Digi-Key might be good candidates.

Of course, AoE won't have anything surface-mount, and some of the stuff from those tables (4-terminal regulators, any CPU) is out of fashion by now. But it might provide some kind of idea.

Matt Roberds

Reply to
mroberds

These guys are trying the same thing. They came up with this list:

David Eather

I could do with similar, but aiming at as long a time as possible, certainly decades, for designs for developing countries.

So far my approach has been to design wherever possible such that any old jellybean part can be used - but you cant run a 1st world manufacturing business like that.

NT

Reply to
meow2222