Liquid cooling heatsink design

Is there a way to interface a series of liquid-cooling aluminum heatsink
blocks like these:

<https://www.ebay.com/itm/3X-Aluminum-Water-Cooling-Heatsink-Block-Liquid-Cooler-Waterblock-For-CPU-GPU-SR/292476792557?hash=item4418f9aeed:g:uc0AAOSw5cRZNWSp

securely to say the top of a small aluminum chassis using ????
such that thermal compound can be applied to the interface, and heat
will transfer into the chassis and dissipated by radiating fins bolted
and interfaced to the exterior?

The aluminum enclosure is appx. 7.5" x 7.5" and 2.5" high. I have room
for a small pump and to bolt maybe 9 of those to the roof of the enclosure.

Re: Liquid cooling heatsink design

-Cooler-Waterblock-For-CPU-GPU-SR/292476792557?hash=item4418f9aeed:g:uc0A
AOSw5cRZNWSp>
e.

like this
http://sound.whsites.net/hs_fig5.gif

with chassis in place of the mica washer ?

Re: Liquid cooling heatsink design

Something like that, but if I'm going to use screws to directly fasten
the sinks to the top of the enclosure (not sure how else I'm going to be
able to make it secure to get a tight connection to apply thermal paste
to)...I don't know the geometry of the hollow inside to know how much
material there is to fasten the screw into without breaking thru into
the hollow interior.

I may have to sacrifice one to find out. :(

Re: Liquid cooling heatsink design

nk
uid-Cooler-Waterblock-For-CPU-GPU-SR/292476792557?hash=item4418f9aeed:g:u
c0AAOSw5cRZNWSp>
sure.

99.9% you can't drill into them, and why would that be easier than a bar ac
ross?

Re: Liquid cooling heatsink design

Ok, I guess I'm not understanding from the diagram how the hollow
aluminum block attaches to the underside of the roof of the enclosure
solidly enough to make a good thermal connection. If I just paste it
there with grease it's just going to fall down!

Re: Liquid cooling heatsink design

sink
iquid-Cooler-Waterblock-For-CPU-GPU-SR/292476792557?hash=item4418f9aeed:g
:uc0AAOSw5cRZNWSp>
ed
om
losure.
be
r across?

a metal bar with screws into the heatsink clamps them to the inside of the
enclosure at the same time clamping the heatsink to the outside

Re: Liquid cooling heatsink design
On Sun, 18 Mar 2018 18:21:46 -0400, bitrex

9 sounds like a lot.

I'd expect those to leak if you drilled a hole on one.

One bigger classic cold plate might be better than a bunch of those:

https://www.digikey.com/products/en/fans-thermal-management/thermal-liquid-cooling/226

You can safely drill/tap those.

Water has a huge specific heat, so a little water flow does a lot of
cooling, something like 0.004 K/W at 1 GPM. So a small cold plate is a
lot of cooling, provided you can transport the heat into it.

What's inside the enclosure? Does it have a good thermal path to the
roof?

lunatic fringe electronics

Re: Liquid cooling heatsink design

I'd like to cool an AMD x86 processor, max TDP around 65 watts, that has
to live in a tiny easily-portable aluminum box with not much room for
active cooling. It's going to be used for various multimedia tasks for
live performances at art galleries/small exhibitions/etc. where
extremely quiet bits are going to be part of the production so speedy
fans whining is a no-no. There's very little height for a heatsink and
fan already, a low-profile sink and cooling fan will probably fit, but
I'm not optimistic about the ability of a low-profile sink and fan
spinning slow enough to be quiet to cool such a CPU when running flat-out.

The thermal path to the roof would be pumped water from a sink on the
processor up through the sink on the roof interfaced to the chassis,
with fins on the outside if necessary. Is the back-of-napkin idea at least

I have enough time to experiment with whether a "custom" (i.e.
hacked-together) liquid cooling system with big-ass heatsink will work,
if not I'm going to give the sink + slow fan a shot and hope for the best

Re: Liquid cooling heatsink design

I already had most of the PC-related parts on hand for this one-off on
hand already, if I can come up with a cromulent cooling solution for a
tiny box that ideally doesn't involve fans I'm going to take a stab off it.

They make off-the-shelf-solutions for more money but the problem with
that is then they have the money instead of me

Re: Liquid cooling heatsink design

If you can get them mounted probably just simple convection could be
used instead of the pump ?

Re: Liquid cooling heatsink design
Re: Liquid cooling heatsink design

do you need that power hog for those tasks?

Via.tw makes fanless boards.

Re: Liquid cooling heatsink design

Ya, it needs to be capable of doing real-time audio/graphics stuff where
the software is Windows only, so needs to be x86, and a fanless Celeron
or Atom won't cut it.

I'm going to take a stab at it with say a 3 core desktop processor
slightly undervolted/underclocked, might be able to get away with th job
that needs to be done using a low-profile heatsink and near-silent low
RPM fan.

There's not a lot of money on offer (art, you see) but the project
seemed fun, objective is to get it mostly done with stuff I have on hand
already ;-)

Re: Liquid cooling heatsink design

That's kind of vague there, but I can't say how efficient their X86 processors
actually are.

Re: Liquid cooling heatsink design

That is to say more specifically the low-power variant processors of the
x86 architecture line don't meet the minimum system requirements as
specified by the manufacturer of the software they wanna run.

Re: Liquid cooling heatsink design
On Sun, 18 Mar 2018 20:28:10 -0400, bitrex

I'd expect that you can conduct 65 watts from the top of the CPU to
the top of the metal box, purely passive cooling. It would need an
aluminum or copper heat spreader plate. Water is messy.

lunatic fringe electronics

Re: Liquid cooling heatsink design

Seems like a heat pipe could do that.

My local salvage yard has heaps of them, $1.25/lb for aluminum, $3/lb
if copper.  Mostly from Dell desktops, ISTM.

Cheers,
James Arthur

Re: Liquid cooling heatsink design
On Mon, 19 Mar 2018 09:58:15 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

A heat pipe just moves heat. It still needs to go somewhere.

Sadly, heat pipes are mostly rigid. That negates a lot of their
potential.

Re: Liquid cooling heatsink design

Right, 65W from the CPU to the box's panel.  Making less heat in the
first place would be a big help, too.

James

Re: Liquid cooling heatsink design

The enclosure is going to be pretty packed as it is; routing rigid heat
pipes up to the roof is going to be an exercise in topology as there are
going to be components (disk drive, etc.) mounted on a riser on
standoffs floating in space above the motherboard.

Site Timeline