Liquid cooling baseline testing

I have a piece of thin aluminum plate (one side of a type of extruded aluminum enclosure really, but the edges are not thermally well-coupled to the other sides of the box) about 25 cm long by 5 cm wide by 1 mm thick, and a 40 mm by 40 mm copper water block thermal epoxied to it. The lone cooling block looks rather like this:

Connected to a copper processor water block thermal pasted to the CPU that looks rather like this:

About 18" total of 3/8" PVC tubing connects everything up to a small off-the-shelf water/coolant pump of dimensions about 4" x 3" x 3".

With the CPU idling at around 75 watts dissipation the loop reaches thermal equilibrium in a couple minutes, with the pump flailing away at

2500 RPM, and the CPU temp reported at around 50-51 degrees C/125 F, too hot, but better than I was expecting for not much coolant block contact area at all, and not hot enough that the processor enters thermal shutdown immediately so hey that's something!

There's probably enough data available from this simple setup, along with measuring the plate and block temp, to construct a thermal resistance model of a somewhat more elaborate system good enough for rock and roll.

I think three or four of them distributed strategically around the enclosure surface might be enough to keep it cool enough under moderate workload to not have to resort to TECs or fancy techniques. Maybe just a lil bitty BLDC fan mounted to one side of the final cooling block.

I'm using the "long cure" variant of this brand thermal epoxy:

it's pricey, takes about 2-3 days to fully cure but seems to transfer heat across an interface amazingly well.

Reply to
bitrex

10mm, not 1mm, rather.
Reply to
bitrex

1.4 W/m*K is not all that great, but a thin layer, it won't matter much.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Another design challenge is where I'm going to find a miniature "No Fishing" sign with the right geometry to fit thru the fill port opening of the coolant reservoir...

Reply to
bitrex

Why thermal epoxy and not solder?

seems unlikely that it would unlikely to outperform metal.

--
  Notsodium is mined on the banks of denial.
Reply to

I've hand-soldered a couple small brass parts together with 60/40 to make some custom plumbing fittings for this project (regular electronics solder and a ~50 watt iron works great for small brass pieces.)

I've brazed some copper pipe before but...basically I don't have any experience soldering (welding?) large parts of dissimilar metals like that together. The enclosure itself is small, a bit delicate and awkward to fit a clamp or clamps into.

Essentially I feel it will probably be a pain in the ass for me to do it well on the first try as compared to the epoxy, most likely result is a moderately costly screwup. :(

Reply to
bitrex

This box is kind of a "labor of love" at this point anyway I'm not turning a big profit on it as is sometimes the case when you have clients who work in "the arts."

Those copper heatsinks are kinda expensive - copper is expensive!

Reply to
bitrex

soldering aluminium is not quite impossible but close nough

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Huh, well I'm no expert either, but it's mostly a matter of getting everything to the right temperature. For your type of things it looks like a hot plate would be a great help. Tin both sides, heat and squish together, scrap off excess solder that runs out the edges, and let cool.

As far as screwing up, you've got to get some other pieces to practice with first. A hot plate and propane blow torch. If one side breaks it's easier to take apart than epoxy. George H.

Reply to
George Herold

led

.

With the right flux it's easy...

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

If it matters the chassis is anodized and brushed finished, the interior of it as well, it's a very slick surface

Reply to
bitrex

led

.

cs

rd

it

Yes. if you wanted to try solder and Al ya gotta sand off the anodization. Otherwise some thermal grease and squeeze hard. I've never used thermal epoxy.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

It'll turn into a pretzel due to differential thermal expansion as it cools.

It doesn't, except from a dimensional stability and residual stress point of view.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Arctic Silver epoxy is pretty good. Several W/m/K.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Hmm a relatively thick layer of the 'right' TCE alloy. I have no idea if such solders exist.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

If you want best heat transfer, the water/copper/epoxy/aluminum is no improvement over water/aluminum. Corrosion might be an issue (not all Al alloys are good when wet, and Cu with Al is a corrosion issue).

Aluminum castings with embedded pipes are not unknown (Cray-1 used those).

I'd consider putting a soft copper tube into an aluminum channel, then pulling a ball bearing through the bore to swage it into good contact. Brute force is cheaper than fancy adhesives.

Reply to
whit3rd

if you want to improve it you need to now the temps at each point in the heat transfer path. Otherwise you're just guessing where the main resistance is.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

It's a counsel of perfection. If you do know the temperature between each of the elements separated by your various thermal resistances, then you can work out what each one of them is, if you know the heat flows precisely enough.

In reality, you can estimate thermal resistances fairly accurately, which is to say guess, accurately enough.

It is a good idea to know how hot your heat-sink gets, but drilling thermistor wells all over the place is rarely worth the trouble.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

I was curious as to how well something like propylene glycol compared to water as a coolant fluid but couldn't immediately find any data...

Reply to
bitrex

Antifreeze is usually diluted using water. water has a higher thermal capacity also it flows much more freely. glycol is viscous.

Appaently noone considers using pure glycol as a coolant.