LiPo charging

Can I use the same charger I use for my 18650 batteries with a LiPo battery?

LiPo battery is 500 mah.

Charger puts out 450 ma.

Thanks.

Reply to
Andy

That's about a 1C, which is pretty high without monitoring. More information is needed. What sort of LiPo battery? 18650 is a size. You need to know the voltage. At a 1C charge, I wouldn't use a charger that wasn't designed for *that* battery.

Reply to
krw

It's a battery commonly used in drones.

Reply to
Andy

LIPOs will take a 1C charge, but I wouldn't leave it unattended, or charge inside a protective bag.

TTman

Thanks. I charge it to 4.2 V, then stop the charging.

Reply to
Andy

4.2 is a bit risky. I would stop at 4.1V. 1C is right at the limit for charging a LiPo battery. It should work with a new LiPo battery, but I'm not sure it's a good idea for maintain long life.

The term "battery" means more than one "cell". If your LiPo battery has more than one cell, you should be charging with a balance charger. This might help: "can li-po be charged with li-ion charger?"

Argh... I'm late (again).

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

My battery is one cell. I will charge to 4.1 volt.

Andy

Reply to
Andy

As long as you're sure of the chemistry, that's a plan. However not all "LiPo" cells are created equal ("LiPo" covers a wide variety of chemistries.

Reply to
krw

ry?

4.2V and 450mA is fine. Here is a comprehensive article on drone batteries, the drone figures into it, and there are other precautions you want to take for safety reasons, as well as getting the most life out of the battery in terms of how many char ge/discharge cycles it can endure before it's finished.
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Thanks, good article.

Reply to
Andy