Line voltage north-eastern Australia?

Gents,

A product is going to be test marketed in Australia, northern half of the east coast. We know the line voltage there is 240V/50Hz but not which tolerances apply. The upper limit is important to us, and also whether it tends to exceed whatever the standard might say. Can someone elucidate?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

I had a customer in Adelaide (more central), but I'll ask. ...Jim Thompson

I think if you look at a map, you would call that Southern

Reply to
Bit Farmer

Thanks. From inland areas I've heard some horror stories. Huge surges, people having several PC power supplies on the shelf as spares, UPSes blowing up and all that.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

From my Aussie buddy...

"I'd suggest aus.electronics newsgroup.

I asked a local guy that makes a power meter that sells into Australia, he wasn't sure of what to expect. Best bet would be to try talk to someone in that area, I don't know anyone in that area for power, all of our equipment is battery/solar.

However it is not uncommon to see 250V surges in Australia in general.

Also note that North east Australia has high humidity and lightning storms like Florida.

Regards, Mike" ...Jim Thompson

You'd have to verify this with engineers from AUS, but one of the features of their rural primary distribution systems is single wire, earth return. That doen't result in very good voltage regulation.

I had a dog that would chase anyone riding a bicycle.
In the end I had to take his bicycle away.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Done.

I've heard of 270V, sparks flying and all, but not near the coast.

Yep, and we've already ruggedized the stuff pretty well when it comes to that. Just the transformer is the problem. 90-260VAC primary switchers aren't that good because most affordable ones peter out above 60C and that doesn't fly in such areas when inside a box.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Ouch. That must be pretty uncomfortable for all those little critters living in the ground.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Why do you think the kangaroos are always hopping?

Quantum Mechanics: The dreams stuff is made of.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Aha! But wait, what did the Aborigines do a few hundred years ago to make them hop back then?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

To stay away from Phil?

Michael A. Terrell

Can you give a city reference? I've quite a few friends there who may know.

Reply to
PeterD

It's actually the whole NE coastline in Queensland, from Brisbane all the way up north to Cooktown.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

For verification::

For validation, I'm not sure I would rely on anecdotal comments from NGs. If this is a significant concern, and it were me, I would talk to some linemen and/or electricians in the target area to get some data.

================================

Greg Neff VP Engineering

*Microsym* Computers Inc. snipped-for-privacy@guesswhichwordgoeshere.com
Reply to
Greg Neff

Actually, one guy on the Australian group corroborated the numbers in the links. 216V min and 264V max, scary. Queensland is supposedly better where it's served by Energex but even if you asked a lineman in Brisbane it might be all nice and dandy there while it's very different up north. However, I did ask my client to request info via their Australian people.

BTW, the poster in the AU group measured the current voltage and got a reading of nearly 258V (!).

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Well, 240 volts, +/- 10% would be 216 to 264, which does sound reasonable, and certainly not that scary.

OK, I'm in NH (USA). Nominal voltage is supposed to be 240 volts. I'm reading 233 to 234 volts, so it is a bit low right now. Evening time, so higher demand I'm sure.

Reply to
PeterD

Ironically, I measure 122.4V in the labs here at school, *and* at home at my Bench.

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

They threw boomerangs at them! The non-returning variety of course. The ones that come back are for the Yankee tourists :->

Dave.

http://www.eevblog.com
Reply to
David L. Jones

I suppose I should clarify I was measuring the 240 power input to my big Eaton UPS... (and not the power outlets.)

and 122.4 (or 244.8) isn't bad at all. I've found that generally in the US the regulation is rather good.

Reply to
PeterD

Dave, Dave--don't tell me that stunt of Crocodile Dundee's with the limo antenna wasn't for real! I always thought the unique Aussie outlook was due to being brained repeatedly while learning to catch boomerangs. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs