Lighting a LED with ambient RF (was candle)

AM radios receive femtowatts.

Sheesh!

Reply to
MrTallyman

On a sunny day (Tue, 9 Oct 2012 02:33:00 +0000 (UTC)) it happened gregz wrote in :

Have fun!

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

We had that with a hydraulic servovalve!

"this is the BBC world service...."

--

John Devereux
Reply to

To be precise 70 m tall (vertical polarization).

at what impedance level ?

The radiation resistance drops inversely proportionally to the square of wavelength below 1/4 wavelengths, thus the matching network not only needs to tune out the antenna capacitively reactance, but also transform the very low (a few ohms or less) to the standard 50/75 ohm impedance levels.

Reply to
upsidedown

Definitively _NOT_

While the provincial US organization "IHF" tried to introduce the dBf (femptowatt decibels above 1 W) in order to make some sense into advertisement, those 10 dBf figures apply _only_ to receivers in the

100 MHz band with +/- 75 kHz FM deviation.

Due to the band noise around 1 MHz, those dBf figures are useless.

Reply to
upsidedown

There is no "p", idiot.

Reply to
WoolyBully

Oh, yeah. We engineers use powers of 3, mostly. Deci and hecta and all those are less common here.

A longwire, or a big loop, sounds more promising.

1 nw is about the threshold with a good green LED.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Hey, we're engineers. We know how to match impedances.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

That would reduce the 'Q' to an unusable level since a parallel L/C circuit is high impedance.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

The Q would be reduced in proportion to how much power is extracted by the LED. Delivering power into the LED is the whole point, so naturally that will reduce Q.

Of course, the impedance match should be optimized for maximum power transfer. Crystal sets often used tapped inductors for that reason, so thet might be reasonable here.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

And the voltage would be lower at that tap.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

That's how I pictured it !!

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Depends on what you connect to which tap.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

scope

Yup, we are famous, often just minutes after we post.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

I've heard stories (urban legends?) about people who were prosecuted for running a wire down their fence and stealing power from the power company. If the fence is there, how does hooking a light bulb across it cost the power company additional money? Aren't you just diverting the losses through a light bulb as they make their way into the ground?

Reply to
mike

Have you ever seen a _working_ crystal radio with the capacitor connected to the tap?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

How many wire fences are grounded? At one time, they were used for telephone service in rural areas. The other side of the phone was grounded.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

In this whole conversation the only thing you chose to comment on is a typo and you have to call the guy an idiot at that...

What??!!!

Rick

Reply to
rickman

No, but we're making a night light, not a crystal radio. And I didn't say that the cap had to be connected to the tap, but it might make sense.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Normally, the fence wires are either open circuit (e.g., barbed wire on wood posts) or short circuit (e.g., chain link on steel posts). Either way, the "radiated" power is reflected, not absorbed. A small phase shift occurs, but that's all. A resistive load, however, really does drain power from the lines.

In principle, every radio station can know exactly how many radio receivers are tuned to their station, though getting quite that much accuracy (nW out of kW, while modulating with program information) is impractical.

It's slightly easier for a power company to notice watts, or hundreds of watts, out of gigawatts, at a surprisingly constant, unmodulated frequency.

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams