Li-ion Battery Packs

I'm interested in making a 12 volt lighting system that will draw around 200 to 300 mA. This battery should power it adequately if I can believe the

1800 mAHr spec. The listing claims it includes "Internet[sic] circuit for multiple protection design can prevent the battery from over-recharging or over-discharging,over-current,short-circuit protection etc."

Aside from the typo, I'm wondering if this is something I should believe. I am concerned about risk of fire from Li-ion batteries. But I believe that is usually a charging issue. I don't expect shorts while being used is something that I particularly need to worry about.

Are there better sources of battery packs which are as easy to use as this?

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998
Reply to
rickman

elieve

while

his?

A battery from China produced by people who have trouble writing coherent sentences? The label is crooked, and the package looks like it was assembled by a 3 year old.

How could it possibly go wrong?

John

Reply to
John Robertson

The outer cover is shrink wrapped. What does that have to do with the inner design?

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998
Reply to
rickman

und

believe

c]

believe

eing

ent

the

The quality of the packaging reflects the quality of the internals. I just say it looks dodgy and would stay away.

Instead, find a reputable dealer of these batteries - try your local hobby/model aircraft flying shops, they have li-ion batteries for electric aircraft and chargers that won't burn your house down.

John

Reply to
John Robertson

und

believe

c]

believe

eing

ent

the

Should I say "Buy American (Canadian - or whatever your home country is)"? A dealer in the US/Canada/UK/... has a reputation to uphold, a fly

by night overseas eBay seller can vanish into thin air if(when) things go wrong.

John

Reply to
John Robertson

On a sunny day (Thu, 5 Oct 2017 01:44:12 -0400) it happened rickman wrote in :

I wonder if 'multiple recycle times' reverts to multiply buys and into the garbage bin.

Something makes me think this could be lipo, with step up, not li-ion? The size seems too small for that amount of mAh cells at 12 V. At least not the real li-ion cells cells I have... So stay clear of it.

And: Wonder what happens if you short those outputs... Wonder what happens if you forget it and leave it on charging(fire insurance?)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

The quality looks fine to me. I have no idea what you are talking about.

Thanks for your advice.

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998
Reply to
rickman

buy a bunch of 18650's and make your own battery . test one of the 18650s to your satisfaction, to destruction if necessary.

makolber

Den torsdag den 5. oktober 2017 kl. 07.44.16 UTC+2 skrev rickman:

change the light or add a boost converter so the light can run of 5V USB, then you can choose between the numerous USB power banks, they usually support 5V/2.1A for fast changing of phones etc.

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Here's the topside PCB of an "eBay Special" switching bench supply I got:

That side and the enclosure looked alright, but turn it over and...

Oh man, it looks like repackaged e-waste. Not even kind enough to include a middle pad on the mosfet at the top right. It died after two months, not really surprised..

Reply to
bitrex

Lasse Langwadt Christensen wrote on 10/5/2017 11:49 AM:

Why is that better? Are you saying the quality is better? I thought about using a power tool battery and I found all sorts of batteries with an excellent form factor on eBay, bricks. USB power banks are all sizes with little commonality.

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998
Reply to
rickman

Chinese eBay sellers are hit or miss. The $10 12->~300 volt boost converter modules I bought a couple of months ago seem well-designed and manufactured and have been working great; as far as I can tell the material equivalent of anything you could buy from a US seller (at around half the cost.)

And there is some absolute garbage...

Reply to
bitrex

The CE mark is probably bogus, and the US taxpayers are funding the free shipping from China. The feedback is likely bogus too.

google chinese lithium battery fire

lunatic fringe electronics

That is shocking. I buy a lot of Chinese stuff, not only because they're cheap but also because they're just about the only practical online source for me. I've placed literally hundreds of orders from AliExpress and none of them was remotely like that. Maybe the eBay seller was trying to palm off a defective unit that had been clumsily repaired.

Reply to
Pimpom

On a sunny day (Thu, 5 Oct 2017 21:59:54 +0530) it happened Pimpom wrote in :

I have an about 10 % error rate from ebay,. many chips that do not meet specs or are too sensitve for electrostatics MAX232, LM317, some other number I cabnot remember) some shit, I ordered 15 meter RG178 from ebay, and received 5 meter plus 10 meter connected like this:

emailed the seller and he assured me that it would work fine like that... Gave him zero stars. Some of the rest of the cable looked like this:

For me it is a calculated risk, overall I get good deals on ebay. banggood was 100% OK so far, but only bough there once...

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Check your home insurance policy, you may not have coverage if the device that starts the fire was not UL/CSA/etc rated for your location/country.

Electrically unsafe items were one of the reasons that UL and CSA got started - too many home fires from crappy items (early TVs were killers!) made in the USA and Canada forced the introduction of electrical safety standards. An example of governments working to protect the populace from rampant free market...

John :-#(#

Reply to
John Robertson

The combination of the first picture and the eBay seller's assurance would make a good April Fool joke. Was it shipped by a seller in the US or directly from China?

The point I'm trying to make, also to bitrex, is that maybe the products didn't come from China in those conditions.

Reply to
Pimpom

That's an impressive amount of gall on the part of that seller, I tell ya!

Reply to
bitrex

My experience with el cheapo Li-ion battery packs is that they are rated as mAH, but in fact its mWH. For a nominal 3.6 volt cell, that means the numbers are about 3x bigger than reality.

In either case, I would use LiFP04 batteries for static applications. They have a lot less catastrophic failures.

Li-ion have several failure modes in all states, charging, discharging, and just plain unused.

--
Regards,

Adrian Jansen
Reply to
Adrian Jansen

Just buy one and test to destruction it's not exactly a Tesla battery pack

Reply to
bitrex