Lenovo Crapped Out Finally - Page 2

Re: Lenovo Crapped Out Finally

How exactly would "bloatware" tie up the hard drive 100% for up to hours
with no data being transferred across the interface?

--

Rick C

Re: Lenovo Crapped Out Finally

Memory leaks, the process allocates but doesn't free every time it
executes some repeating call somewhere, slowly exhausts the set of
physical memory mapped to the process or processes virtual address
space, begins thrashing the disk

Re: Lenovo Crapped Out Finally

Unless there was a driver very recently updated this is quite unlikely.
The most common cause of running in molasses is that the disk is on its
last legs and the swap file and parts of the OS are having multiple read
errors. The OS keeps trying until it gets a copy that error corrects OK
(or at least with no *detected* errors which may not be the same thing).

If it is malware related then CCleaner and MalwareBytes (both free) are
the tools of choice to try first - although be careful what options you
choose or you may zap cookies that actually contain useful and important
login details or things on a wishlist you intend to buy later.

MalwareBytes is always worth a try on a machine that is behaving
erratically even if the AV showing nothing obviously wrong.

That is a very drastic brutal solution - not least because modern
installs tend not to come with a recovery CD. Everything for reinstall
is on the hard disk so if that is failing you are dead in the water.
Then you have to reinstall everything you had on the machine from
scratch and do all the relevant updates to bring it back up to scratch.

If you are going to do that much work you may as well do it on a new
machine and get the speed improvement that goes with it.

There was a bug like that a long time ago but I have never seen the
generation from Windows 7 onwards give anything other than sensible
results. You can generally tell by the hum of the cooling fan and CPU
temperature how hard you are working a machine.

Martin Brown

Re: Lenovo Crapped Out Finally

Have you asked the drive?

Re: Lenovo Crapped Out Finally

On most portables there is usually an elegant way to change the hard
drive if you can find the service manual.

That sort of fault is often an indicator of hard disk about to fail and
large numbers of read retries due to uncorrectable errors. Disabling the
swap file and/or limping along in safe mode might help a bit. What do
basic error diagnostics like SMART have to say about disk health?

You will need to verify that what you have copied is a true copy of what
was originally there if there is anything particularly precious on it.

I don't suppose you have any recent backups?

If it is a pending disk failure then putting a modest SSD in as a
replacement will give it a new lease of life.

Martin Brown

Re: Lenovo Crapped Out Finally

Thanks for the suggestions.  I just bought a SSD for this machine, but this
is not the only issue with it, just the last straw.  I have, not once
before, but twice before been ready to replace it and was able to get it
working again at the last moment.  If it wasn't for the way they cripple
modern laptop keyboards and touchpads it would have been replaced over a
year ago.  Funny that they sell machines with what I want for a bit more
than what I paid for the duff Lenovo (it does have a pretty crappy screen)
but sell what appear to be the same machine spec-wise but are $200 or $300
more and called "gaming laptops".  lol  I hate the black color they come in
or I would have kept the one I picked up at Costco a year ago.  I returned
it unopened when the Lenovo piece of crap was resurrected.

My backups are of my data.  Eudora doesn't need to be reinstalled and it's
much better if it isn't as I would have to go through all the durn tweeks
again many of which I don't recall.

One thing I do like about the Lenovo, it warms the case very well keeping my
legs warm in the cold winter months.  The new HP machine is cold to the
touch everywhere on the case and never blows the same overheated exhaust.
It's cold like the dead gray eyes of a shark!

--

Rick C

Re: Lenovo Crapped Out Finally
On Wed, 24 Jan 2018 18:37:03 -0800, gnuarm.deletethisbit wrote:

[...]

If it gets to that stage and your data is really important, I would boot
it from a Linux live CD (they pretty much all recognise and can work with
Windows format discs now) and manually copy the data across to a suitably
capacious thumb drive. You never know how close you are to the end when a
hard drive starts to get flaky.

Re: Lenovo Crapped Out Finally

Ransomware maybe? :(

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

(Coming to you from sunny San Juan Puerto Rico, en route to Antigua
tomorrow.) ;)

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

You will find that with every new machine you buy, with newer OS and
other software, you will understand less what it is doing and will have
less control over how it spends its resources.
(on your actual application or on internal bookkeeping that you deem
unnecessary)

Re: Lenovo Crapped Out Finally
On Wed, 24 Jan 2018 18:37:03 -0800 (PST),

I should know better than to say something on this, but I've seen this
problem a few times in the past on Lenovo laptops.  It turned out to
be the Lenovo network card driver.  I rolled back the ethernet driver
to various previous Lenovo versions, which improved the situation, but
didn't fix it.  Eventually, we found a driver on the Intel web pile
that worked (I had some help on this).  Prior to finding that
solution, I "solved" the 100% CPU utilization problem by reinstalling
the ethernet driver with the most recent version (that was already
installed).  Why that worked will remain a mystery.  Hopefully, Lenovo
fixed all this long ago.

Did you run Lenovo System Update?
<https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht003029
<
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRyG5wEhldM

In order to find problems like this, I suggest that you try using the
latest Process Explorer to see what's happening under the covers.  The
problem is that many processes that start as DLL's are attached to
svchost.exe processes, which do a nice job of hiding the culprit.
Process Explorer will show these.
<https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

Incidentally, I had a similar problem on my home XP machine.  50% CPU
utilization forever.  If I killed the svchost.exe process that was
showing the 50% in the Task Manager, it went away, but so did a bunch
of other processes, such as sound and various USB devices.  So, I used
Process Explorer to see what was running under the svchost.exe
process, and killed them one at a time until the CPU utilization
dropped to normal (0%).  It turned out to be wuauclt, which is Windoze
Update check.  Since there are no more XP updates, I just disabled
Windoze Update and lived happily ever after.

Personally, I like switching to Linux, as nicely documented by John
DeArmond.  It's not quite that simple as there are a bunch of things
that need to be installed after Linux is running, such as the HP
printer drivers and the Microsloth TT fonts.  For a distribution, I
recommend Ubuntu Mate:
<https://ubuntu-mate.org

Also, tearing apart a Lenovo laptop is quite easy.  Unlike some
miserable designs that enter through the keyboard bezel, most (not
all) Lenovo laptops only require removing a number of screws to remove
the bottom cover, when then exposes everything, including the hard
disk drive.  Lots of disassembly videos on YouTube, Ifixit, and other
sites.  As John mentioned, you will get a 5x improvement in overall
performance with an SSD, but only if your hard disk interface is SATA2
or SATA3.  If it's the older SATA1 interface, you'll get about 3x.

Good luck.