LED drivers, >24V, 20-30A current reg, fast PWM

What are some good switching-mode LED drivers, able to work > 26V, regulate current at 30A (ext FETs), and do fast PWM for 3000:1 or better dimming? We looked at MAX16819, what are some others you like?

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

What kind of PWM circuit are you contemplating for 3000:1?

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

In addition to their current-mode control, the chips have a PWM input pin, and claim 2000 to 5000:1 dimming capability. In the fine print you discover you have to slow the PWM rate significantly, and also deal with a minimum pulse length, plus uncertainty in the on/off delay times. Consider, with a 20kHz PWM rate, a 100ns width uncertainty limits you to a 500:1 range. But if the PWM rate was 3kHz, you could get 3000:1 range. To get zero, make no pulses, or to get a light level of 1 part in 3000, make a single 100ns pulse, every 330 us.

I'm not very concerned about that spec.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Luminous PhlatLight uses a MAX16818 in their 36-amp DK-136M evaluation drivers, for their big projection LEDs. We used that with good success. The MAX16818 looks good, $3.45 each, except it's already NRND, and Maxim's recommended replacement, the MAX20078, is NDA-required, just to see a datasheet! And it's an especially onerous NDA, you need to be a very high-volumn user, and an officer of the corporation with sufficient authority, has to sign the NDA, etc.

I'm still searching for some candidate parts, so far there's only the LT3743. This also worked well for us, but it's a bit of a complicated design.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Roll your own with a microcontroller and your own gatedriver

If a lot more work off course , but fun

Cheers

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

If you're going for 3000:1 and you want an accuracy of +/- 1/2 least signif icant increment, which would be 1 part in 6000, then an uncertainty of 200n s in the rise/fall would make for about 400ns minimum programmed pulse widt h. So that 3000x would be 1.2ms= 833Hz clock. That gets you well beyond a ny problems with flicker. The only problem is the illumination engineers de fine dimming differently from the semi people. The higher power LEDs are re latively sensitive to wandering around their color coordinate space as a fu nction of drive current, and supposedly human vision is just as sensitive t o picking this up. So when the illumination people take about dimming, they 're talking about duty cycle modulating the exact same current used at all duty cycles. I don't see how you do that using these LED driver chips with flyback inductors. Simplest would be a switch CCS of 30A with a shunt switc h across the LED to modulate the drive.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Correct, the MAX16819 cannot be used as a projection IC, but only for single-LED illumination. An example of what you're talking about is the MAX16818, which suggests on the front page, that you add a dimming MOSFET to short the LEDs, maintaining inductor current.

I was enthusisatic about the MAX16818, but they made it NRND and substituted the MAX20078, which is as I said, NDA-required, just to see a datasheet! And it's an especially onerous NDA, you need to be a very high-volumn user, and an officer of the corporation with sufficient authority, has to sign the NDA, etc.

So I'm still searching for some candidate parts, so far there's only the LT3743. This chip has worked well for us, but it's a bit of a complicated design.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

If the user adds an external MOSFET to short the LED, then *any* buck converter able to maintain an unchanging inductor current, despite output-voltage changes, should work well. High-side current sensing, high-frequency switching, and a fast control loop, is probably required.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win