led car tacho circuit design request

Can someone please point me to a (well-designed) circuit diagram for a LED car tacho? I have found a few on the web, but some use discontinued chips (afai can see) and others a rather too-basic means of getting and processing the ign pulses. Just me, but I'd like to see an opto isolator between the ign and tacho circuit. The various kits available seem very expensive - and besides I'd like to build one that some clever person has designed themselves. (wish I could do it). thanks.

Reply to
dave

IIRC, the magazine "Circuit Cellar" had an LED automotive gauge project article a year or two back.

The ark was skippered by amateurs, the Titanic was skippered by
professionals.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

thanks